Called Story, a decorative pattern depicting Norwegian traditions has been sandblasted onto the unglazed porcelain surface of shade.
The pattern is similar to that of traditional Norwegian knitting patterns and wool jumpers.
Photographs are by Kaja Bruskeland.
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
Here's some more information from the designers:
STORY Porcelain Lamp. Designed by Vibeke Skar and Ida Noemi Vidal
“Once upon a time there was a porcelain lamp called Story. Born in Norway between high mountains and deep fjords, it dreamed of lighting up small wooden houses in the dark forests. With a translucent pattern depicting Norwegian traditions, it warmed the hearts of the travelers it met on its journey.”
The lamp is telling a story about the Norwegian traditions and way of living, the contrast between the cold winter weather and warm clothing and homes. Story draws inspiration from melting icicles and the warm light shining through the windows of our cabins in the mountains, it sheds a new light upon traditional Norwegian knitting patterns and gives a new and softer expression to the cold and hard porcelain surface.
Story has an elegant appearance with its characteristic curves. The surface is unglazed and the decoration plays with the texture and the translucency of the material. The pendant expresses a calm and comfy atmosphere. It can hang by itself, in rows or in clusters over your kitchen table, dining table or where ever you’d like to hang it.
Technique: sandblasting (pattern)
|Arctic Collection by
Jens Praet and Vibeke Skar
|More lighting stories
|More stories on
- Mission One by Yves Béhar & fuseproje…ct
- Design Miami Chat Shows: Ross Lovegrov…e
- Tea with Georg by Scholten & Baijings …for Georg Jensen
- Jonas Wagell expands Swell sofa range …for Normann Copenhagen
- Curious Vase by Mianne de Vries
- Isabel Ahm's Secretary Desk is designe…d for working at home
- Sofie Lachaert and Luc d'Hanis build t…emporary housing terrace for exhibition
- Interactive slideshow: explore new pro…ducts from Antenna Design for Knoll
- Blue D1653 by Arian Brekveld, Chris Ko…ens and Damian O'Sullivan for Royal Delft
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories