Called Peneira ("sieve"), baskets are finished with stitching made of a natural fibre.
The baskets come in three sizes and nest inside each other.
The project is on show at Die Neue Sammlung museum in Munich as part of an exhibition on Italian design curated and designed by Alessandro Mendini.
Called Oggetti e Progetti, the exhibition continues until 19 September.
Here's some more information from Alessi:
"Peneira collection" Fratelli Campana - Basket in 18/10 stainless steel mesh and natural fibre.
“Peneira” simplicity of materials and inventive design ability.
“Peneira collection” is a new collection of baskets designed by the Campana brothers for Alessi. A hallmark throughout the Brazilian duo’s work, these products are made of simple, basic materials that attain their level of sophistication by skillfully and cleverly combining them. The malleability of the metal mesh used for the layers gives the product a blurry, out-of-focus transparency, while the tailored, natural fiber trimming used to finish the piece’s rim softens the final product. With this project, the Campanas have successfully transformed the mechanical strength of steel mesh into a series of very delicate and impalpable baskets:
“We called this collection ‘Peneira’: a word meaning ‘sieve’ in Portuguese, used by Brazilian Indians. The translation from the handmade prototype to the industrial process maintains the original spirit of our creations and demonstrates once again how the refined craftsmanship in our design perfectly combines with the technical know how of Alessi’s production.”
|Blow Up – Bamboo by
Campana Brothers for Alessi
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: save 20%… on Gravity by Ziiiro
- Dezeen's top four collections from this …year's Westminster fashion design graduates
- Bumper Bed by Marc Newson for Domeau & P…érès
- Tom Dixon to give away 1,000 lights
- Mechanical Mirrors by Daniel Rozin repli…cate images using everyday objects
- Witness Flat by Jurgen Bey
- Faye Toogood "gets fat" with fourth Asse…mblage furniture collection
- Marija Puipaitė shapes Embracing Touch …seats with the outline of her legs
- Bono's Laser Stage Suit by Moritz Waldem…eyer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories