Called Welcome to the Jungle, the five pieces each have a flat surface supported on four chunky posts.
Alves gave them different colours and proportions to represent a group of toy animals.
The project was one of ten in the jury's selection. See all our stories about DMY Berlin in our special category.
The following text is from Alves:
Welcome to the jungle. James (elephant), John (hippopotamus), Jeremy (lion), Jerry (giraffe) and Joe (crocodile).
Like many children, is age, my son loves to play with his ever growing collection of toy animals, and sharing this experience, with him, I came up with the idea of creating a group of special, small, pieces that might make children and adults feel the same about items of furniture. Welcome to the JUNGLE is a group of 5 friends that you can use almost anyway that you want. They can be tables, stools, or even coat hangers. They can even jump over one another in order to make some shelves. Made of wood, and with a bright and glossy skin they've arrived and they have made the jungle their home.
Take one home. Take them all home. Go wild, but most of all enjoy. You just have to catch them first!
|Trestle by TAF
|All our stories about
DMY Berlin 2010
- TOR by Lambie & Van Hengel for Montis
- "We got into a geeky zone trying to unde…rstand urban agriculture" – Something & Son
- Autumn Winter 2013 collection by Eilish …Macintosh
- Husmus by Muungano
- Designed in Hackney: Resort 2012 by Chri…stopher Kane
- Parametric Space by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- Weld Vases by Phil Cuttance
- Wonderwall’s Bape Kids opens in Tokyo
- One Handed Condom Wrapper by Ben Pawle
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories