De Hogeschool West-Vaanderen graduate Janwillem Van Maele cast this concrete side table inside a suspended fabric mould.
Called Mas IIII, the table was created by stitching the fabric into a net and stapling it to a circular board.
This was hung upside-down and filled with cement and gravel, then weighted with sand.
Van Maele then drenched the assemblage in water and left the concrete to harden.
The resulting shape was sanded back before cork feet were added.
Here are some more details from Van Maele:
My product is called “MASS llll”, my final product in school. The project was supervised by instructor Alain Monnens from Idam.
The MASS |||| is a concrete sidetable with the following production process:
I started with a DWG file for the right shape of the legs. That file can be entered in an industrial embroidery machine. This is automatically sewn.
The reinforcement is pushed into the mold.
Then I staple the fabric on a wooden plate. This plate maintains over the whole production, so every table would have the same diameter. The plate is the mould for the table top. You can see the stitches are seamless.
I hung the fabric upside down, a kind of Gaudi’s method. I filled the mould with a dry mix of cement and gravel.
The sand I poured on ensures that the print of the fabric is also on the bottom of the table.
I drench the mould with water to activate the chemical reaction.
After the concrete has solidified in the mold, I took the fabric of it and sawn the legs . For finishing I putted three cork-naps on it, And sanded the edges.
Color Pigment, Staple, Iron Reinforcement, Mixer, Staples, Yarn, Tape, Water
Industrial embroidery machine, 15-layer crosswise glued birch veneer, shuttering plate
Portland cement, Computer, Textile, White sand, Cork
|Grompies||FattyShell (v.01)||Concrete Chair by Tejo Remy
& René Veenhuizen
- Prater Chair by Marco Dessí
- Cape by Nendo for Offecct
- Peroni Collaborazioni Talk tonight: Fabi…o Novembre
- Movie: Quiet Motion installation by Rona…n and Erwan Bouroullec
- Cast Desk Tidy by Benjamin Hubert
- Ninety Light by Shawn Littrell
- Hassell and Draisci Studio create "Londo…n's first sleeperie" to encourage daytime naps
- Ann Ray shares intimate behind-the-scene…s photographs of Alexander McQueen
- Pebble-shaped Calming Stone is designed …to help prevent panic attacks
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories