De Hogeschool West-Vaanderen graduate Janwillem Van Maele cast this concrete side table inside a suspended fabric mould.
Called Mas IIII, the table was created by stitching the fabric into a net and stapling it to a circular board.
This was hung upside-down and filled with cement and gravel, then weighted with sand.
Van Maele then drenched the assemblage in water and left the concrete to harden.
The resulting shape was sanded back before cork feet were added.
Here are some more details from Van Maele:
My product is called “MASS llll”, my final product in school. The project was supervised by instructor Alain Monnens from Idam.
The MASS |||| is a concrete sidetable with the following production process:
I started with a DWG file for the right shape of the legs. That file can be entered in an industrial embroidery machine. This is automatically sewn.
The reinforcement is pushed into the mold.
Then I staple the fabric on a wooden plate. This plate maintains over the whole production, so every table would have the same diameter. The plate is the mould for the table top. You can see the stitches are seamless.
I hung the fabric upside down, a kind of Gaudi’s method. I filled the mould with a dry mix of cement and gravel.
The sand I poured on ensures that the print of the fabric is also on the bottom of the table.
I drench the mould with water to activate the chemical reaction.
After the concrete has solidified in the mold, I took the fabric of it and sawn the legs . For finishing I putted three cork-naps on it, And sanded the edges.
Color Pigment, Staple, Iron Reinforcement, Mixer, Staples, Yarn, Tape, Water
Industrial embroidery machine, 15-layer crosswise glued birch veneer, shuttering plate
Portland cement, Computer, Textile, White sand, Cork
|Grompies||FattyShell (v.01)||Concrete Chair by Tejo Remy
& René Veenhuizen
- Splinter by Nendo for Conde House
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: Jak by K…arim Rashid for Alessi reduced by 40%
- Double Dutch curated by Jane Withers
- Fiona Paxton at The Temporium
- Valeska Jasso Collado folds latex-covere…d foam into geometric garments
- Note Design Studio extends Silo lamp col…lection for Zero
- Airborne by Stéphanie Van Zwam
- Bolon reinterprets Missoni's iconic zigz…ag for new flooring collection
- Dyson's first humidifier uses ultraviole…t light to kill bacteria
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories