"Through the exhibition the viewer will get an in-depth look at my design process - from sketches and study models right through to a full scale installation," says Pawson.
"A series of large-scale photographs explore the relationship between my architecture and the landscape, while actual architectural elements in stone, bronze, wood and metal examine the combination of materials. Films, interviews and personal items from my archive will also be on display including letters from Karl Lagerfeld and the writer Bruce Chatwin."
More behind-the-scenes information about the exhibition on Pawson's Plain Space blog.
Click above for larger image
John Pawson: Plain Space opens 22 September 2010 – 30 January 2011
Above: exhibition plan
Here's some more information from the Design Museum:
"The father of modern architectural minimalism"
New York Times
The Design Museum presents a major exhibition of the work of British architect John Pawson. Often described as a 'minimalist' he is known for a rigorous process of reduction, that creates designs of simplicity, grace and visual clarity. At the heart of the exhibition is a site-specific 1:1, full-sized installation designed by Pawson to offer a direct experience of his work - the first such installation at the museum.
Plain Space celebrates Pawson's career to date with models, film, photographs and architectural elements and includes some of his most important projects including the Cistercian Monastery of Our Lady of Nový Dvůr in the Czech Republic, the Sackler Crossing at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and the Calvin Klein store on Madison Avenue, New York.
|House of Stone
by John Pawson
|B60 Sloop by John Pawson
and Luca Brenta
|John Pawson at
Royal Opera House
- Brutalist buildings: Trinity Square car …park by Owen Luder
- Carey House by Henry Goss: "Visualisatio…n played a vital role in design decisions"
- Farnan Findlay's beachside Clovelly Hous…e designed to "look better in 20 years"
- Vo Trong Nghia unveils bamboo domes in V…ietnam
- 6×11 Alpine Hut by OFIS Arhitekti
- Flight Assembled Architecture - preview
- Danish Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by… BIG
- United States Land Port of Entry in Cala…is by Robert Siegel Architects
- Binissalem School Complex by RipollTizon
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories