London Design Festival 2010: at Variability in London last week designer Simon Donald presented new additions to his Stanley collection, which includes this candle holder with sandpaper for striking matches on.
Above: Swan and Night Light. Candlesticks with a place to keep your matches and a bright yellow sandpaper detail on which to strike.
The range is made of oak combined with materials and mechanisms found in the workshop.
Above: 1,2,3 coat hooks. Three of the same but all different. These coat hooks are all identical in shape but hang in different positions to create this mixed set.
Above: Mitre Mirror. Reminiscent of a woodworker's mitre block this free-standing mirror is adjustable to three angles for personal grooming. Below: Salt and Pepper shakers. These shakers feature a removable nylon plug. Twisting the plug sets the shaker to open or closed, or pull it out completely to refill.
The information that follows and captions are from Donald:
Straightforward geometry and material interventions are the basis of the Stanley homeware collection.
Solid oak combined with workshop materials (and mentality) such as household sandpaper have resulted in a range of work that could simply be described as ‘common sense design’.
|Candle with a Handle
by Jon Harrison
|Basic Series by StokkeAustad
and Frost Produkt
- Dezeen podcast: Javier Mariscal at the D…esign Museum
- The Virgin Collection by OAT
- Split series by Peter Marigold
- Backstage – A Sideview on the Moroso D…esign Collection at Gallery 113
- Dalston House by Leandro Erlich
- The Incredible Shrinking Man by Arne Hen…driks
- The Reflection Range by Kim Thome at Sho…w RCA 2012
- Invisible Bookend by Paul Cocksedge
- Philippe Starck's Juicy Salif was "the m…ost controversial lemon squeezer of the century"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories