London Design Festival 2010: at Variability in London last week designer Simon Donald presented new additions to his Stanley collection, which includes this candle holder with sandpaper for striking matches on.
Above: Swan and Night Light. Candlesticks with a place to keep your matches and a bright yellow sandpaper detail on which to strike.
The range is made of oak combined with materials and mechanisms found in the workshop.
Above: 1,2,3 coat hooks. Three of the same but all different. These coat hooks are all identical in shape but hang in different positions to create this mixed set.
Above: Mitre Mirror. Reminiscent of a woodworker's mitre block this free-standing mirror is adjustable to three angles for personal grooming. Below: Salt and Pepper shakers. These shakers feature a removable nylon plug. Twisting the plug sets the shaker to open or closed, or pull it out completely to refill.
The information that follows and captions are from Donald:
Straightforward geometry and material interventions are the basis of the Stanley homeware collection.
Solid oak combined with workshop materials (and mentality) such as household sandpaper have resulted in a range of work that could simply be described as ‘common sense design’.
|Candle with a Handle
by Jon Harrison
|Basic Series by StokkeAustad
and Frost Produkt
- Torsten Sherwood launches Shaker-influen…ced furniture collection
- Established & Sons in Milan 2
- Patchwork by Amy Hunting
- MINI Rocketman Concept
- OMA's CCTV building reconstructed as a w…ooden cabinet
- Book cover refuses to open for judgmenta…l readers
- Tuomas Markunpoika mills coloured pencil…s to create Amalgamated vases
- Parkcycle Swarm by Rebar Group and N55
- Cornell Boxes by Alison Smithson for Tec…ta
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories