London Design Festival 2010: at Variability in London last week designer Simon Donald presented new additions to his Stanley collection, which includes this candle holder with sandpaper for striking matches on.
Above: Swan and Night Light. Candlesticks with a place to keep your matches and a bright yellow sandpaper detail on which to strike.
The range is made of oak combined with materials and mechanisms found in the workshop.
Above: 1,2,3 coat hooks. Three of the same but all different. These coat hooks are all identical in shape but hang in different positions to create this mixed set.
Above: Mitre Mirror. Reminiscent of a woodworker's mitre block this free-standing mirror is adjustable to three angles for personal grooming. Below: Salt and Pepper shakers. These shakers feature a removable nylon plug. Twisting the plug sets the shaker to open or closed, or pull it out completely to refill.
The information that follows and captions are from Donald:
Straightforward geometry and material interventions are the basis of the Stanley homeware collection.
Solid oak combined with workshop materials (and mentality) such as household sandpaper have resulted in a range of work that could simply be described as ‘common sense design’.
|Candle with a Handle
by Jon Harrison
|Basic Series by StokkeAustad
and Frost Produkt
- Naomi Kizhner's jewellery collection har…vests energy from the human body
- Design Museum Collection App: lights
- Sidekick Stool by Timothy John for Thank…s
- Front revisits Gebrüder Thonet Vienna's… roots to design bent-wood furniture
- Clothes rack by Martha Schwindling looks… like a bean trellis
- Well Transparent Chair by Ron Arad
- Bell-orgel by Nendo
- BRCK portable internet router by Ushahid…i "designed to work anywhere"
- 11 Boxes by Studio Vit
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories