London Design Festival 2010: at Variability in London last week designer Simon Donald presented new additions to his Stanley collection, which includes this candle holder with sandpaper for striking matches on.
Above: Swan and Night Light. Candlesticks with a place to keep your matches and a bright yellow sandpaper detail on which to strike.
The range is made of oak combined with materials and mechanisms found in the workshop.
Above: 1,2,3 coat hooks. Three of the same but all different. These coat hooks are all identical in shape but hang in different positions to create this mixed set.
Above: Mitre Mirror. Reminiscent of a woodworker's mitre block this free-standing mirror is adjustable to three angles for personal grooming. Below: Salt and Pepper shakers. These shakers feature a removable nylon plug. Twisting the plug sets the shaker to open or closed, or pull it out completely to refill.
The information that follows and captions are from Donald:
Straightforward geometry and material interventions are the basis of the Stanley homeware collection.
Solid oak combined with workshop materials (and mentality) such as household sandpaper have resulted in a range of work that could simply be described as ‘common sense design’.
|Candle with a Handle
by Jon Harrison
|Basic Series by StokkeAustad
and Frost Produkt
- Nook by Patrick Frey
- Series Two by Another Country
- Swarovski Crystal Palace video diaries
- 100% Norway exhibition to showcase the… country's designers and manufacturers in London
- Tonic by Reinhard Dienes
- Ora-Ito kitchen goes on European tour
- Wool Modern Installation by Not Tom
- Lifelike Design by Kwangho Lee at Hunt…ing and Collecting
- Booth-generator by students from Trier… University of Applied Science
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories