Here are some photographs of the completed Tree Hotel by Tham & Videgård Arkitekter, a mirrored glass box suspended round the trunk of a tree in Harads, northern Sweden. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The 4x4x4 metre cube is accessed by rope bridge and reflects the surrounding forest and sky.
The plywood interior is designed to accommodate two people, containing a double bed, bathroom, living room and roof terrace.
The hotel was opened to the public in July 2010.
More about the Tree Hotel in our earlier story.
Photographs are by Åke E:son Lindman
The information that follows is from Tham & Videgård Arkitekter:
Tree hotel in Harads (2008-2010)
A tree hotel in the far north of Sweden, near the small village of Harads, close to the polar circle. A shelter up in the trees; a lightweight aluminium structure hung around a tree trunk, a 4x4x4 meters box clad in mirrored glass.
The exterior reflects the surroundings and the sky, creating a camouflaged refuge.
The interior is all made of plywood and the windows give a 360 degree view of the surroundings.
The construction also alludes to how man relates to nature, how we use high tech materials and products when exploring remote places in harsh climates (Gore-tex, Kevlar, composite materials, light weight tents etc).
The functions included provides for a living for two people; a double bed, a small bath room, a living room and a roof terrace.
Access to the cabin is by a rope bridge connected to the next tree.
To prevent birds colliding with the reflective glass, a transparent ultraviolet colour is laminated into the glass panes which are visible for birds only.
The tree hotel in Harads focuses on wild life-/eco tourism where one encounters and experiences the pristine nature of Sweden.
Architects: Tham & Videgård Arkitekter, www.tvark.se
Chief architects: Martin Videgård and Bolle Tham.
Staff: Andreas Helgesson, Julia Gudiel Urbano, Mia Nygren.
Client: Brittas Pensionat, Britta Lindvall and Kent Lindvall,
|More about Tham & Videgard
|Dezeen's top ten:
- Open Tables Ecology by Working Architect…ure Group
- Modulorbeat creates One Man Sauna inside… a stacked concrete tower
- New images of Manned Cloud by Jean-Marie… Massaud
- Messe Basel New Hall by Herzog & de Meur…on photographed by Hufton + Crow
- Waiatarua House by Monk Mackenzie incorp…orates a wooden lattice
- Bjarke Ingels to deliver the Royal Acade…my Annual Architecture Lecture 2015
- Noémie Meney creates modern summerhouse… inside French garden pavilion
- Didier Faustino's Big Bang-inspired stru…cture to be next in series of dream houses
- Corner house by Masahiro Kinoshita
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories