Here's another hair salon by Japanese designer Teruhiro Yanagihara, this time located in central Osaka, Japan, featuring free-standing mirrored boxes.
Called NE, the project hides different areas of the salon so as not to reveal the function of the space.
A hair washing area is located inside a brick room with concrete steps sitting in front of it.
The steps double up as a waiting area, providing seating and display surfaces.
Lights and doors to the storage rooms are flush with the walls and fold out to reveal their functions.
Photographs are by Takumi Ota.
The following information is from Yanagihara:
NE, located in central Osaka, is a hair dressers shop for a young couple that started up their own business.
The small space doesn't reveal it's actual purpose and is conceived as a narrative sequence of abstracted objects and volumes.
An iconic stair, that contains the wash- and backroom, marks the waiting area and serves as seating accomodation and display.
Free-standing mirrored screens are positioned in the otherwise empty cutting area like sculptures.
The lights and doors to the storage fold our of the walls and let them appear like made of sheets of paper.
|KIZUKI + LIM by
|Isolation Unit completes
Tokyo hair salon
- Kiosk at SCP by Michael Marriott
- Home 07 by i29
- Information Centre at the Groninger Muse…um by Jaime Hayón
- B&B Italia Showroom by Pitsou Kedem
- Jay Mews by Theis and Khan
- Sous les Cerisiers by Ralston & Bau
- McKinsey & Company Hong Kong Office by O…MA
- Fender Katsalidis Architects and Suppose… Design Office collaborate on eclectic Canberra hotel
- Inside awards: TwoTwoSix Hollywood Road …by Studioilse
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories