The collection includes a pair covered in a mirrored shell, called Invisible Shoe, and another where the nude leather upper is visible through the same 3D-printed framework.
Here's some more information from Chaves:
Launch of first studio series by designer Andreia Chaves
The first commercial studio series by designer Andreia Chaves will be launched at this years’ Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week (February 10-17). The series entitled ‘Invisible Shoe’ will be shown in New York in a exhibition organized by Mercedes-Benz in collaboration with designer Herve Leger and this will be followed in March 2011 by a launch in Asia in association with I.T Hong Kong as well as the opening of the new store I.T Beijing Market Comme Des Garcons.
Described as a study of optical effect applied to shoe design, the ‘Invisible Shoe’ series explores the concept of invisibility though the ‘chameleon effect’ while the shoe’s reflective finished surface creates an obscured optical effect with each step taken. This innovative design greatly exceeds the primary function of the shoe, where "protecting" the foot also means "deleting" or "immersing" it into the environment.
The series, which will be available in limited edition, in three different models, is handmade in Italy using a combination of leather making techniques together with advanced 3D printing technology. For the development and manufacture of the external structure, Chaves has collaborated with the renowned Dutch Company FOC (Freedom Of Creation).
Marloes ten Bhömer
Marloes ten Bhömer
|Mojito shoe by
- Gone With the Wind by Nika Zupanc
- Jeremy Maxwell Wintrebert installs "simp…le, geometric shapes" at London's V&A
- New Pinterest board: London 2012 Olympic… design
- Xemei Stool by Mediodesign
- Kawamura Ganjavian designs Kangaroo Ligh…t for the bottom of your bag
- Patricia Urquiola designs slanted water …jug for Bilbao restaurants
- Pebble by Osko+Deichmann
- Pig Truck by Studio Swine
- Aluminium and timber light shades by Nic…k Sadowsky use gravity to maintain shape
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories