Architects Coop Himmelb(l)au of Vienna have won a competition to design a new parliamentary building in Tirana for the Republic of Albania.
The parliamentary hall will be housed in a central glazed cone and members of the public will be able to access the roof of the building plinth to look down into the hall.
The project also includes a cone-shaped entrance hall and block of offices.
The following details are from Coop Himmelb(l)au:
COOP HIMMELB(L)AU’s winning scheme for ‘The New Parliamentary Complex of the Republic of Albania’ officially confirmed
Wolf D. Prix/ COOP HIMMELB(L)AU presents the new ‘Open Parliament of Albania’ in Tirana which incorporates fundamental democratic values such as openness, transparency and public co-determination. The building, located on a site area with approximately 28,000 m2, is going to be the first project in Albania for the Viennese headquartered studio.
"Our design for the new Parliament in Tirana, Albania, stands for the transparency of democracy”, according to Wolf D. Prix, Design Principal and CEO of COOP HIMMELB(L)AU.
As the future political center of the Albanian Republic, the Open Parliament of Albania creates an outstanding architectural landmark in one of the main parts of Tirana’s urban fabric. Situated along the compositional axis of the city, it is located in vicinity to the major governmental institutions.
The design for the Open Parliament of Albania relies on three main ideas:
- To provide a strong urban statement in this exposed part of Tirana’s urban fabric;
- To assemble the different functions in one building ensemble that is compact enough to create a public forum and a park on the southern part of the site;
- To create a unique building for the most important public institution of the Albanian Republic with a contemporary architectural approach shaped to optimize active and passive energy use.
The design incorporates fundamental democratic values such as openness, transparency and public co-determination. The simultaneity of competing political concepts within a democratic society is translated into the design concept: Different building elements are not opposed, but coexist in one building ensemble with a contemporary aesthetic that allows visualizing new functions and meanings.
The core of the building complex is the parliamentary hall that is situated in a glazed cone and stands for the transparency of the legislation. A public stair leads from the public forum to the landscaped roof of the plinth building that unites all the different building elements of our design: Office block, entrance structure and parliamentary hall. From the plinth the public is able to look into the parliamentary hall even from the outside.
The main entrance is designed as a massive cone, which creates an impressive space and acts as the counterpart to the glazed parliamentary hall.
The new parliamentary building for the Republic of Albania is designed to capture the natural resources and energy flows of its surroundings and employ them to provide optimal environmental conditions for its occupants. The special configuration of the building form and the optimization of the building envelope together with the use of renewable energy sources ensure an energy efficient design and reduce reliance on fossil fuel energy sources. The office building is covered with a second skin made of perforated steel that is specially configured to improve building performance related to optimum daylight use, views, solar control, glare protection, thermal insulation, natural ventilation and noise protection.
|Town Town by
|Pavilion MINI Opera Space by Coop Himmelb(l)au||Art Museum Strongoli
by Coop Himmelb(l)au
- House at Wategos Beach by Mackay + Partn…ers
- Steilneset Memorial by Peter Zumthor and… Louise Bourgeois
- Nursery extension by h2o Architectes env…eloped by a folded fabric sunshade
- Cultural landscape path in the Lower Min…cio by Archiplan
- Alley by Apollo Architects & Associates
- Salmtal Secondary School Canteen by Spre…ierTrenner Architekten
- UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by Tho…mas Heatherwick - more images
- Park Hill Phase 1 by Hawkins\Brown and S…tudio Egret West
- Movie: The Leadenhall Building by Rogers… Stirk Harbour + Partners
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories