Spanish firm Grupo Aranea have designed this apartment to sit on the roof of a house belonging to the client's mother.
Called Casa Lude, the project in Cehegin, southern Spain, has windows angled to look along the narrow streets to the mountains beyond and unfolds to a roof terrace at the top.
The text that follows is from the architects:
Lude wanted a house in a traditional neighbourhood in the city of Cehegin, using the roof of his mother and sister’s house as a plot.
Making the most of its privileged situation, Casa Lude is related to its environment in a particular way.
Due to the density of the area it doesn’t open directly to the nearby facades but looks along the narrow streets to see the landscape, the Burete mountains and the San Agustin Hill.
In spite of looking different to the other buildings of the neighbourhood, Casa Lude is as compact and introverted as them.
Instead of a conventional layout of the rooms Casa Lude creates a unique, continuous and rich space on different levels with various heights and directions; a space that Lude fills with music.
This space extends to the roof as a natural continuation of the interior life. It is a complex space full of light where a lot of secrets are hidden...
|Apartment in El Born
by Anna Noguera
|Lolita by Langarita-Navarro Arquitectos|
- French village library by Studio 02 Arch…itectes presents a gridded facade of wood and glass
- T Bailey Office by Tom Kundig
- Metal Shutter Houses by Shigeru Ban
- "I’m a passionate architect... I do no…t work for money" - Peter Zumthor
- Black and White Gallery by CarverHaggard… is based on colonial architecture
- Switch by Apollo Architects gives a new …home to an 85-year-old restaurant
- Sur Mesure by FREAKS freearchitects
- NLA Sky Walk by Carmody Groarke 2
- Aura by Zaha Hadid Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories