Spanish firm Grupo Aranea have designed this apartment to sit on the roof of a house belonging to the client's mother.
Called Casa Lude, the project in Cehegin, southern Spain, has windows angled to look along the narrow streets to the mountains beyond and unfolds to a roof terrace at the top.
The text that follows is from the architects:
Lude wanted a house in a traditional neighbourhood in the city of Cehegin, using the roof of his mother and sister’s house as a plot.
Making the most of its privileged situation, Casa Lude is related to its environment in a particular way.
Due to the density of the area it doesn’t open directly to the nearby facades but looks along the narrow streets to see the landscape, the Burete mountains and the San Agustin Hill.
In spite of looking different to the other buildings of the neighbourhood, Casa Lude is as compact and introverted as them.
Instead of a conventional layout of the rooms Casa Lude creates a unique, continuous and rich space on different levels with various heights and directions; a space that Lude fills with music.
This space extends to the roof as a natural continuation of the interior life. It is a complex space full of light where a lot of secrets are hidden...
|Apartment in El Born
by Anna Noguera
|Lolita by Langarita-Navarro Arquitectos|
- Sergei Tchoban designs 30-metre-long can…tilever for Russia's Milan Expo pavilion
- Indian office block by SPA Design featur…es brick arches and stepped rooftop gardens
- East Van House by Splyce Design features… an asymmetric sloping roof
- Copenhagen dance hall converted into off…ice for Danish law society
- Gwanggyo Power Centre by MVRDV
- ABC Center House by Kakuro Odagi and Dai…suke Narushima
- House in the Woods by hayakawa/kowalczyk
- Formwerkz Architects' Terrace House is c…overed with plants inside and out
- Ryusenji House by Tomoaki Uno Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories