Called Souviens toi que tu vas mourir (Remember that you will die), the design is a reinterpretation of the ubiquitous monoblock chair.
Today is the last chance to see Nouvelle Vague at the Centre Culturel Français, Palazzo delle Stelline , corso Magenta 63, 20123 Milano. See all our stories about Milan 2011 »
Photographs are by Benjamin Le Du.
The information that follows is from the oganisers:
Souviens toi que tu vas mourir chair
The emblematic monobloc chair reinterpreted as an expression of vanity.
This memento mori represented by a skull acts as a leitmotiv for those who seek the comfort of a chair and the ceremonial act of being seated.
Dimensions: L55cm W50cm H88cm
Nouvelle Vague, the new French domestic landscape
Entitled Petite Friture, Moustache, Superette, Specimen and Goodbye Edison. Punchy and easy to remember names chosen to stand out by the plethora of new French furniture and objects editors. Difficult to believe in such a sluggish, but this is reality: France has never known such an entrepreneurial frenzy in the design world. In barely 3 years, the French design market has seen more editors emerge, but also design galleries (YMER & MALTA, Next Level Galerie, Fat Galerie, Galerie BSL, Galerie Gosserez, etc...) than over the last ten years.
In very little time, their pioneering work, production, and commercialisation of new object and furniture collections has permitted a new generation of designers to stand out and become visible. Their work has also given this new wave confidence. Now uninhibited, polyglot and entrepreneurial, they take risks, auto-produce and are opening out to the world. From amongst these numerous new faces, five obviously outstanding will be presented at this exhibition: A+A Cooren, Ionna Vautrin, Pierre Favresse, Studio Nocc and Pool.
Curator: Cédric Morisset
- Lifelike Design by Kwangho Lee at Huntin…g and Collecting
- 28 Series Desk Lamp by Omer Arbel for Bo…cci
- Stewie by Luca Nichetto for Foscarini
- Sebastian Cox pairs coppiced chestnut an…d ash for furniture collection
- High-tech lighting installation by Simon… Heijdens creates "3D drawings in water"
- To Have and To Hold by JamesPlumb
- David Chipperfield creates simple furnit…ure from wooden planks
- City Series and Studio Line by Michael Y…oung for Zixag
- Global Edition by Bernhardt Design and D…anerka
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories