The collection, called Klara, is manufactured using both industrial processes and local hand-craft techniques in the chair-manufacturing district of Manzano, Italy.
The following is from the designer:
Patricia Urquiola - Klare Collection
Klara is a wooden armchair designed by Patricia Urquiola for Moroso. The design works on a simple, linear aesthetic that is harmonious in its curved yet essential shape. The use of wood emphasises its lightness and elegance.
The structure is both functional and decorate, and calls to mind the first serial productions of the early 20th century (not least) due to the use of woven cane, a hand-crafted technique in practice in Friuli a century ago.
For its production, Moroso decided to work with the Manzano chair-manufacturing district, both in recognition of a production area that has represented Italian excellence in the production and industrial processing of wooden chairs for over a century, and because Moroso has always considered fine Italian, and in this case, local craft skills to be of great value.
The name Klara evokes a sense of tranquillity (Klare in German means clear, limpid, whilst the Spanish equivalent Clara communicates serenity). Thus this project also emphasises the importance of blending decorative art, craftsmanship and industrial design.
- Bottle watch by Industrial Facility arri…ves at Dezeen Watch Store
- Normal shows hip-flask mobile design
- Dezeen Watch Store winter sale: get up t…o 30% off clearance lines
- Tie-break by Bertjan Pot for Richard Lam…pert
- Meeraboo FL-1 by Victor Vetterlein
- Dezeen Watch Store at Tracey Neuls: 20 N…ovember to 23 December 2012
- Aim lamps by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec …for Flos
- Tata Nano by Tata Motors
- Form Us With Love designs plastic seatin…g range for Ikea
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories