Called 'Growing Vases' the lights were shown as part of an exhibition, titled 'Cocoon', directed by designer Fabio Novembre in Milan.
The design is based on the shape of a flower bulb.
All Photos by Daici Ano
The following is from Nendo:
Growing Vases by Nendo for Lasvit:
We exhibited a glass object “growing vases” for a Czech glass and lighting company “Lasvit” in collaboration with Fabio Novembre.
During this year's Salone, an exhibition of three designs by three designers including Mathieu Lehanneur and Nendo under the art direction of designer Fabio Novembre showcased the artistry of venerable Czech Bohemian glass maker Lasvit's glassblowers.
We were assigned the abstract theme 'cocoon', and asked to create work that would directly convey the quixotic appeal of glass as something that is impractical and incomplete, but provides a breath of fresh air, opening up new possibilities.
We decided to take the brief in a playful direction, and to suggest both breathing and the incomplete by displaying the metal pipes used by glassblowers, still attached to the glass objects that they were used to make. By turning the pipes into flowers and branches and the glass into a vase, we literally turned convention on its head, making flowers blooming in vases into vases blooming from flowers to represent the flower bulbs that draw nutrients from plants through photosynthesis and store new life.
- Pangenerator creates troop of robotic ba…cking singers and dancers
- Stencil furniture by Julien Carretero
- Cover collection by Daphna Laurens
- Stitch Room by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
- 3D-printed fabrics by Richard Beckett wo…ven into Pringle of Scotland's ready to wear garments
- Pinxo by Ferran Lajara
- Leica camera by Jonathan Ive and Marc Ne…wson
- Passing Cloud by Tiago Barros
- Reddress at York Hall by Company
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories