These conceptual images by Spanish studio Espai MGR show impossible Lego structures filling vacant neighbourhood plots in Valencia.
The aim of the project, named Habit Makes Us Blind, is to draw attention to the problem of unused spaces in urban environments.
The architects intend the project to promote the spaces for recreational use.
This information is from the architects:
Habit make us blind
Day by day we pass by vacant lots downtown. Just like an invisible metastasis generated in the heart of the city and extending to all its arteries. Neighbourhoods that, although having a huge potential, have more and more unused spaces, a fact that does not at all promote a correct sustainable development. Years have made us immune to this problem. It’s a landscape we already recognise as typical of the central neighbourhoods in Valencia.
Sometimes, the tourists are the ones who open our eyes by mentioning or questioning whether this situation is normal. On other occasions, we pay attention to it for a moment only because the secondary problems that those spaces imply affect us directly. But in most of the cases, they are only a part of our way. Like a gruyere cheese where the rats block any possibilities of reconstruction, while staring at us, far away from its holes.
This photographic work aims at calling people’s attention, just like painting those isolated walls yellow would. It demands the recreational use of those vacant lots through the eyes of a child, by filling them with impossible constructions, surrealistic installations in line with the problem. A children’s game as a neighbour’s shout, demanding the right to take part in their city.
- Castelo Novo by Comoco Architects
- Patricia Urquiola lecture at Luminaire
- Seoul fashion boutique features yellow… walls and an Eames bird above the entrance
- Quinta dos Alcoutins by GGLL Atelier
- Jean Nouvel's Sydney towers boast vert…ical gardens and a huge sunlight reflector
- Slideshow: Plaza Espana by Menis Arqui…tectos
- Ruta del Peregrino: Crosses Lookout Po…int by Elemental
- Industrial Pavilion Hydro Aluminium by… Adamo-Faiden and Estudio Silberfaden
- Education centre in Rwanda built from …brick and wicker by Dominikus Stark Architekten
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories