The hair is bound with natural resin and the frames are completely biodegradable.
Murakami and Groves work together under the name Studio Swine.
The project is on display at graduate exhibition Show RCA 2011, which continues in London until 3 July.
The information below is from the designers:
Hair Glasses by Studio Swine
Studio Swine presents ‘Hair Glasses’ – a collection of sustainable fashion eyewear exploring the potential of Human hair.
The UK beauty industry imports 15 million pounds worth of human hair per year. As the world’s population continues to increase, human hair
has been re-imagined as a viable - importantly renewable - material.
Hair Glasses comprises of human hair with bioresin as a binding agent, the frames are 100% biodegradable and no harmful substances are
released during production.
Studio Swine explores how the booming production of hair extensions can be expanded beyond the beauty industry to make other commodities that are equally desirable.
- An Furniture by KAMKAM
- Wooden stool with a gaping mouth stores …a magazine within its seat
- Benoît Malta's Passive Behaviours furni…ture collection encourages movement
- Digital bobbleheads are the "provocative… future" for cars, says Plummer-Fernandez
- Nordic Mediterranean collection for Forn…asarig
- "I wanted to capture the beauty of 1950s… engineering" – Michael Young
- Elevate by Gillian Westley for Joseph Jo…seph
- Haunted by 36 Woman by Ted Noten
- The knitting collection of Loes Veenstra… by Christien Meindertsma
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories