The hair is bound with natural resin and the frames are completely biodegradable.
Murakami and Groves work together under the name Studio Swine.
The project is on display at graduate exhibition Show RCA 2011, which continues in London until 3 July.
The information below is from the designers:
Hair Glasses by Studio Swine
Studio Swine presents ‘Hair Glasses’ – a collection of sustainable fashion eyewear exploring the potential of Human hair.
The UK beauty industry imports 15 million pounds worth of human hair per year. As the world’s population continues to increase, human hair
has been re-imagined as a viable - importantly renewable - material.
Hair Glasses comprises of human hair with bioresin as a binding agent, the frames are 100% biodegradable and no harmful substances are
released during production.
Studio Swine explores how the booming production of hair extensions can be expanded beyond the beauty industry to make other commodities that are equally desirable.
- Ring by Hotzu River Cheng at Show RCA …2012
- Snap clip-on supports create furniture… from found objects
- Studio Libertiny at Droog
- Fold by Nendo for Conde House
- Sofa based on a pin cushion by Demeter… Fogarasi
- Titan digital pocket watch by Ziiiro n…ow in stock at Dezeen Watch Store
- Menswear capsule collection by Bureau …V
- Intimacy 2.0by Studio Roosegaarde
- Concrete Buckle by Sruli Recht
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories