Leather-bound blades displayed against chunky wooden blocks adorn the walls of a Finnish knife shop in Helsinki by designers Suunnittelutoimisto Amerikka.
The specialist shop sells furry animal hides and traditional Finnish knives named Puukos, which are crafted in Lapland by manufacturer Marttiini.
The knives are affixed by magnets and each block can be lifted to reveal storage behind.
Elsewhere, mounted timber vases display bunches of knives as if they were flowers.
Other interesting shops recently featured on Dezeen include a kiosk made from over 1000 copies of the New York Times and a clothes store with naked mannequins on the walls and ceiling - see all our stories about retail interiors.
The following information is from the designers:
The "Puukko" is a traditional Finnish knife; a crafted object and an everyday tool. Marttiini has manufactured knives in Lapland, Northern Finland since 1928.
The new Marttiini shop is situated in the heart of Helsinki, with Senate Square and the Cathedral seen from the window. The new shop combines Marttiini’s long tradition and history with contemporary design. The materials used in the shop; wood, metal and leather, are the same materials used to construct the knives. All details have been designed with functionality in mind, allowing this small space to display more than 200 different products. The new Marttiini shop is just like the "Puukko": beautifully functional!
Shop design: Amerikka Design Office Ltd.
Shop opened: May 2011
Address: Aleksanterinkatu 28, Helsinki, Finland
- La Chambre aux Confitures by Noël Domin…guez and Agathe Delecourt
- Peter Marino exhibition opens in Miami
- The Recovery Lounge by Priestmangoode
- Marcel Wanders for Villa Moda in Bahrain
- Sneaker store in Melbourne by March Stud…io features tunnel-like interior
- Tokyo cafe interior by CUT Architectures… is modelled on a laboratory
- Job Lounge at the Groninger Museum by St…udio Job
- Viktor Leske International by Karhard Ar…chitektur + Design
- WOKmedia show at Design Miami
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories