The L-shaped glazing that punctures the facade of the residence creates an illuminated frame around the entrance.
Sumi ink stains the rendered exterior of the house, creating a dark outline around the front elevation.
This ink colours the entire exposed side wall, which features a series of square windows at staggered heights.
Aspects of the building are highlighted in red and pink, including the front door and a thin exterior canopy.
A ledge below the first floor ceiling inside makes a perfect route for the client's cats.
We've also featured another house that includes dedicated routes for the family cats - see it here.
Photography is by Koichi Torimura.
Here's a description of the house from the architects:
EASTERN design office
The facade of this house has the shape of a keyhole.
A key to open “my house”, which is standing along a narrow street of a crowded town, is designed as a key itself on the façade of this house. A house can be called a key, which will open up your life happily. Such a small key, this house is a key!
The site is in Kyoto, Japan. It is a small house for four people and two cats. It has only 100 square meters of floor space. It is standing alone in the corner of a small parking lot like a table left behind at the seaside.
- The façade is marked by a window shaped like a key.
- Mortar with sumi ink is applied to the exterior wall.
- Simple color coding. Red and purple are used as an accent.
- The triangle roof.
- Random arrangement of small windows.
- The edge to make the shape of this house clearer.
There is a thin steel eave which is fixed to the façade of this house as if it is floating, and a key-shaped slit like a “picture”, crossing over the eave. A red wine-colored door. These are laid out like a beautiful pattern designed on a jewel box.
You sometimes will see a cat lying by the window at this house. You wonder what she is watching. Do you still have a naïve heart with a key to open this house?
Data: Keyhole House
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Architect: EASTERN design office
Site Area: 90.81㎡
Total Floor Area: 103.47㎡
Structural Engineering: EASTERN design office
- Maccreanor Lavington extends a 1960s L…ondon housing estate with a modern interpretation
- A House in a Church by Ruud Visser Arc…hitects
- Rural Slovenian cottage by Dekleva Gre…gorič has walls of stone set into concrete
- Explorative Canopy Trail by Yvonne Wen…g wins Foster + Partners Prize 2012
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Frank Gehr…y
- BLOXAS adds periscope-shaped extension… and courtyard veranda to Melbourne house
- Galleria Centercity by UNStudio
- Auditorium Aquila by Renzo Piano Build…ing Workshop
- Vertical Glass House by Atelier FCJZ h…as glass floors instead of windows
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories