Vinyl photographs of buildings in both Tel Aviv and New York cover the surfaces of the cabinets, concealing the locations of cupboard and drawer openings.
Images of eroded wall surfaces and street rubbish wrap some of the smaller sets of drawers, while one cabinet is decorated as an apartment block with rotated and jumbled elevations.
A mirror displayed beneath this piece reveals a photograph of a rooftop swimming pool on its underside.
Israeli artist and architect Ghiora Aharoni curated the exhibition, which is on show until 22 December.
You can see more design from Israel in our special feature.
Here's a little more information from the gallery:
Ehud Oren - Photosynthesis
Curated by Ghiora Aharoni
Opens Thursday, November 17th 2011 8pm 17 November - 22 December 2011
Braverman Gallery is pleased to present recent work by Ehud Oren.
Ehud Oren recontextualizes ordinary images from the exterior world-- fragments of photographs taken on the streets of Tel Aviv and New York--as canvases for functional repositories which conceal the mundane items of domestic life.
With this transposition of the exterior world to the interior, Ehud shifts our awareness of the routine, the quotidian, the things we take for granted.
These arrested moments--withering vines, compressed cardboard, dilapidated facades, steel scraps--celebrate the transitory and ephemeral vernacular that surrounds us.
While what we see is recognizable, the manipulated context and scale heighten our perception of its inherent beauty.
The gesture blurs the boundaries between art and furniture, elevating the utilitarian to the poetic.
- X-System by Alexander Lotersztain
- Hand in Hand Clock by Yen-Wen Tseng
- Colour Porcelain by Scholten & Baijings …for 1616 Arita Japan
- Food and Design videos: Philippe Starck
- Lasvit's new lighting collections "combi…ne craftsmanship with advanced technology"
- Joseph Grima explores changing ideas of …domesticity for Biennale Interieur exhibition
- Richard Hutten for Christofle
- Louche glassware by Mathias Hahn
- The Poor Man's Gold by Joost van Bleiswi…jk
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories