The Temporium: regular readers might be surprised to see antiques on Dezeen but these wooden stools from our neighbours Chest of Drawers are today's Advent calendar feature from our Christmas shop The Temporium.
Sourced from the Shanxi region of China and expertly restored, each stool is between 80 and 120 years old.
They're made of elm or walnut in round and rectangular versions, constructed with mortise and tenon or lap joints.
Chest of Drawers also show a series of rice measures at the shop.
The company received a Guardian Sustainable Business Award for their system that rates the sustainability of each wooden product in May this year - see our earlier Dezeen Wire story.
Here are some more details from Chest of Drawers:
Antique Chinese stools – a selection of round and rectangular wooden stools
These stools come from the Shanxi region, one of the richest places in China during the Qing Dynasty.
This region is regarded as one of cradles of the Chinese nation and civilisation with a deep tradition of furniture making of the very highest level.
These rectangular and round stools are a beautiful testament to the simplicity of Oriental furniture from that time. With mortise & tenon and lap joints the legs not only look good but provide strength. Stools are made of elm or walnut and are between 80 and 120 years old. We clean them up but don't re-touch the designs or decoration. Careful restoration is carried out by skilled restorers but otherwise we leave these pieces well enough alone.
Dezeen presents The Temporium
65 Monmouth Street
Seven Dials, Covent Garden
London WC2H 9DG
020 7503 7319
1-24 December 2011
Monday – Saturday: 11:00 – 19:00
Late-night shopping Thursday until 20:00
Sunday: 12:00 – 17:00
More info: www.thetemporium.com
- Egg of Columbus by Valentina Carretta of… Fabrica for Seletti
- SBTRKT's animated music video follows a …creature through urban dystopia
- Opus Incertum by Sean Yoo for Casamania
- Menu's homeware collection avoids "anyth…ing crazy coloured or hyper trendy"
- Scallop table by Samuel Wilkinson for Ve…rsus
- Paizi 38 installation by reMIX Studio
- Iris van Herpen creates dresses from cir…cles of lustrous metal gauze
- Benjamin Hubert slots Inlay sofa's legs …inside opened corner seams
- Nendo. Illuminated for Wästberg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories