Designed in Hackney: a renovated 1960's residence that the Royal Institute of British Architects named best new house in the UK last year is today's instalment in our showcase of projects designed in the London borough of Hackney.
Architects Duggan Morris cleaned and restored the house's concrete block walls, upgraded the original aluminium-framed windows and replaced load-bearing internal walls with a supporting steel frame.
The refurbishment was completed in the summer of 2010 and the house went on the win the RIBA Manser Medal at the end of 2011.
Although the house itself is located in the north London borough of Camden, Duggan Morris Architects have their studios on Provost Street, just north of the Old Street roundabout in Shoreditch.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Arribe Ataio town hall and pelota court …by VAUMM
- Lyon Housemuseum by Lyons Architects
- Mirage by Kjellgren Kaminsky Architects
- Clay Fields by Riches Hawley Mikhail
- Wildfowl Cottage extension by 5th Studio… is clad with shingles and raised over a flood plain
- House 77 by dIONISO LAB
- House in Oporto by Álvaro Leite Siza
- Marina Bay Sands offers "a new kind of …public realm" says Moshe Safdie
- Holmenkollen ski jump by Julien de Smedt… 2
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories