Designed in Hackney: a renovated 1960's residence that the Royal Institute of British Architects named best new house in the UK last year is today's instalment in our showcase of projects designed in the London borough of Hackney.
Architects Duggan Morris cleaned and restored the house's concrete block walls, upgraded the original aluminium-framed windows and replaced load-bearing internal walls with a supporting steel frame.
The refurbishment was completed in the summer of 2010 and the house went on the win the RIBA Manser Medal at the end of 2011.
Although the house itself is located in the north London borough of Camden, Duggan Morris Architects have their studios on Provost Street, just north of the Old Street roundabout in Shoreditch.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- 10 super skinny houses
- Tea Houses by Swatt | Miers
- Moss Your City by PUSHAK
- Four-Cornered Villa by Avanto Architects
- Tori Tori Restaurant by Rojkind Arquitec…tos and Hector Esrawe
- Arreletes Day Care Centre by Xavier Vila…lta
- Kontum Indochine Wedding Restaurant by V…o Trong Nghia Architects
- Casa de Sambade by Spaceworkers is a lon…g house with textured concrete walls
- Duplex House in Tokito by Hidehiro Fukud…a Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories