Designed in Hackney: next up in our selection of creative talent from the London borough of Hackney is up-and-coming design studio International, who have designed a lightweight transportable desk that accommodates all of the facilities needed by a printmaker.
The frame is constructed from interlocking cardboard tubes, which support a series of interchangeable worktops and storage units.
These include trays sized to fit specified paper stocks, laminated cutting mats and a small cupboard.
International designed the Puck System for printmakers Puck Studio, who are also based in the London borough of Hackney, to be used for live printmaking at an art fair.
Designers Marc Bell and Robin Grasby graduated from Northumbria University in 2009 and went on to found International a year later. They recently picked up third prize at the [D3] Contest for young designers in Cologne for their modular lamp shades made from layered aluminium.
Their studios are located on Stamford Hill in the north of the borough.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Iris van Herpen exhibition at the Intern…ational Centre for Lace and Fashion
- Up to 25% off in the Dezeen Watch Store …winter sale
- Jean-Marie Massaud for Axor
- AC02 Jewel by Saskia Diez for e15
- New furniture and lighting collection by… Resident
- Cantilevered sofas by Paulo Kobylka fit …together like stacked concrete slabs
- Louis Vuitton fashion collection influen…ced by Modernist architect Charlotte Perriand
- Bathrooms aren't getting bigger; good de…sign is about "optimising the space"
- Orbea Grow by Álex Fernández Camps
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories