Designed in Hackney: next up in our selection of creative talent from the London borough of Hackney is up-and-coming design studio International, who have designed a lightweight transportable desk that accommodates all of the facilities needed by a printmaker.
The frame is constructed from interlocking cardboard tubes, which support a series of interchangeable worktops and storage units.
These include trays sized to fit specified paper stocks, laminated cutting mats and a small cupboard.
International designed the Puck System for printmakers Puck Studio, who are also based in the London borough of Hackney, to be used for live printmaking at an art fair.
Designers Marc Bell and Robin Grasby graduated from Northumbria University in 2009 and went on to found International a year later. They recently picked up third prize at the [D3] Contest for young designers in Cologne for their modular lamp shades made from layered aluminium.
Their studios are located on Stamford Hill in the north of the borough.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Designs of the Year 2013 exhibition at t…he Design Museum
- Tweety table lamp by Giorgio Bonaguro
- Form Us With Love adds colourful acousti…c panels to Baux range
- Chassis by Stefan Diez for Wilkhahn
- Confluences by Philippe Nigro
- Vibrating kGoal activity tracker monitor…s vaginal exercises
- Wrecking Ball Lamp and Crane Lamp by Stu…dio Job
- Bilder & De Clercq by …,staat
- La Cantine de la Ménagerie de Verre by …Matali Crasset
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories