Swedish architects Claesson Koivisto Rune have completed a house on the coast of a Baltic island with slanted roofs and walls that make the building narrower in the middle.
This 'waist' separates the two storeys of bedrooms at the back from a double-height communal space overlooking the water at the front.
Villa Widlund on the island of Öland was prefabricated from white concrete and grey lines of sealant draw graphic lines across the facade.
Here's some more information from the architects:
Villa Widlund vacation house
This house is like a funnel of light, space and sea views. The location is the west coast of the Baltic island of Öland.
The white concrete box is "corsetted" in the middle, creating slightly sheared wall and roof angles.
This gives the house both its direction and character, while also marking the difference between the rear private two-storey bedroom part and the communal double ceiling-height front part.
Precast concrete is perhaps not the most common choice for a private house at this scale, but was ideal for achieving the ultimate precision in manufacturing tolerance and colour/finish.
The concrete is not painted or surface-pigmented but solid white, which gives it a wonderful glow.
The joints between the concrete elements are carefully designed and positioned so that – instead of interfering with – they become part of the building's geometry and expression.
The sealant in between is gray to enhance the graphic effect rather than matching the concrete surface.
Architect Claesson Koivisto Rune Architects, Stockholm
Project group Mårten Claesson, Eero Koivisto, Ola Rune, Deta Gemzell, Kumi Nakagaki, Kia Larsdotter, Lotti Engstrand
Project vacation house
Location Sandvik, Öland, Sweden
Client Karin Meindner and Jan Widlund
Builder Folke Nilsson AB and Finja (precast concrete)
Construction/Material solid white precast concrete
Building area 220 m2
- Noel Dominguez inserts timber cube house… into Parisian garden
- Villa Kettukallio by Playa Architects pr…ovides a woodland holiday home
- Smart student unit by Tengbom
- Capital Hill Residence by Zaha Hadid Arc…hitects
- House 1 and House 2 by TAKA
- Bernardo Bader sources wood from a local… forest to build barn-like house in rural Austria
- Wooden pavilion by Ramser Schmid Archite…kten built beside Swiss library
- Shintaro Fukuhara's family home has a gl…ass facade like "a showroom"
- London Thatch by James Kirk
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories