Japanese studio mA-style architects has completed a metal-clad house with a smaller wooden house inside (+ slideshow).
The playhouse-like structure has a gabled rooftop that just skims the uppermost ceiling of the two-storey residence in Makinohara, which itself is a rectilinear box.
Located at the centre of the house, the little structure contains living rooms on both levels, while bathrooms and a closet are also slotted inside it on the ground floor.
Openings in the walls and ceiling provide windows to the rooms beyond, which include a kitchen and dining room below and bedrooms above.
Here's a few extra details from the architects:
Project name: ant-house
Location: Shizuoka, Makinohara, Japan
Program: Single family house
Year: Completion: 2012
Project by: mA-style architects
Team: Atsushi Kawamoto & Mayumi Kawamoto
Click above for larger image
- Schmidt Hammer Lassen's Canadian libra…ry mimics the angular roofs of its neighbours
- House of Cedar by Suga Atelier
- Floating structure by White Arkitekter… brings harbour swimming to a Danish island
- Prism by Marcelo Spina and Georgina Hu…ljich
- Photoluminescent stripes allow Ibiza's… Can Misses Hospital to glow by night
- Juri Troy Architects creates 37-metre-…long house and studio in the Rhine Valley
- The Glass Wave by Andy Martin Associat…es
- The Modern Seaweed House by Vandkunste…n and Realdania Byg
- Peter Haimerl's Bavarian concert hall …has a rough stone exterior and a raw concrete interior
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories