Japanese studio mA-style architects has completed a metal-clad house with a smaller wooden house inside (+ slideshow).
The playhouse-like structure has a gabled rooftop that just skims the uppermost ceiling of the two-storey residence in Makinohara, which itself is a rectilinear box.
Located at the centre of the house, the little structure contains living rooms on both levels, while bathrooms and a closet are also slotted inside it on the ground floor.
Openings in the walls and ceiling provide windows to the rooms beyond, which include a kitchen and dining room below and bedrooms above.
Here's a few extra details from the architects:
Project name: ant-house
Location: Shizuoka, Makinohara, Japan
Program: Single family house
Year: Completion: 2012
Project by: mA-style architects
Team: Atsushi Kawamoto & Mayumi Kawamoto
Click above for larger image
- Casa Lee by Studio MK27
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House N by S…ou Fujimoto Architects
- House in Nanakuma by MOVEDESIGN
- Movie: Toblerone House by Studio MK27 th…rough the eyes of a cat
- Vertikale Kletterhalle Brixen by Stadtla…bor and Wolfgang Meraner
- Movie: UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010… by Thomas Heatherwick
- Carey House by Henry Goss: "Visualisatio…n played a vital role in design decisions"
- Apartment No. 1 by AbCT
- Statoil regional and international offic…es by A-Lab
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories