Japanese studio mA-style architects has completed a metal-clad house with a smaller wooden house inside (+ slideshow).
The playhouse-like structure has a gabled rooftop that just skims the uppermost ceiling of the two-storey residence in Makinohara, which itself is a rectilinear box.
Located at the centre of the house, the little structure contains living rooms on both levels, while bathrooms and a closet are also slotted inside it on the ground floor.
Openings in the walls and ceiling provide windows to the rooms beyond, which include a kitchen and dining room below and bedrooms above.
Here's a few extra details from the architects:
Project name: ant-house
Location: Shizuoka, Makinohara, Japan
Program: Single family house
Year: Completion: 2012
Project by: mA-style architects
Team: Atsushi Kawamoto & Mayumi Kawamoto
Click above for larger image
- Multi Mill by NL Architects
- Artworks by Zaha Hadid
- House in Nagoya by Suppose Design Office
- Movie: 1111 Lincoln Road by Herzog & de …Meuron
- Vallvidrera House by YLAB Arquitectos
- Market Hall by Robbrecht en Daem and Mar…ie-José Van Hee
- Studio Weave celebrates old London trade…s with Clerkenwell Design Week pavilion
- Tianjin Ecocity Ecology and Planning Mus…eums by Steven Holl Architects
- Toy Factory Loft by Zellnerplus
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories