Japanese studio mA-style architects has completed a metal-clad house with a smaller wooden house inside (+ slideshow).
The playhouse-like structure has a gabled rooftop that just skims the uppermost ceiling of the two-storey residence in Makinohara, which itself is a rectilinear box.
Located at the centre of the house, the little structure contains living rooms on both levels, while bathrooms and a closet are also slotted inside it on the ground floor.
Openings in the walls and ceiling provide windows to the rooms beyond, which include a kitchen and dining room below and bedrooms above.
Here's a few extra details from the architects:
Project name: ant-house
Location: Shizuoka, Makinohara, Japan
Program: Single family house
Year: Completion: 2012
Project by: mA-style architects
Team: Atsushi Kawamoto & Mayumi Kawamoto
Click above for larger image
- Triple One by Renzo Piano Building Works…hop
- Hiding in Triangles by Philip Modest Sch…ambelan and Anton Fromm
- The Beam by MVRDV and de Alzua+
- Hackney Marshes Centre by Stanton Willia…ms
- Concrete Maison Le Cap house features mi…rrored glazing to reflect the seaside scenery
- RBC Design Centre Montpellier by Jean No…uvel
- Movie: Iowa University Visual Arts Build…ing by Steven Holl
- House in Minamimachi 3 by Suppose Design… Office
- Miyi Tower by Studio Shift
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories