Japanese studio mA-style architects has completed a metal-clad house with a smaller wooden house inside (+ slideshow).
The playhouse-like structure has a gabled rooftop that just skims the uppermost ceiling of the two-storey residence in Makinohara, which itself is a rectilinear box.
Located at the centre of the house, the little structure contains living rooms on both levels, while bathrooms and a closet are also slotted inside it on the ground floor.
Openings in the walls and ceiling provide windows to the rooms beyond, which include a kitchen and dining room below and bedrooms above.
Here's a few extra details from the architects:
Project name: ant-house
Location: Shizuoka, Makinohara, Japan
Program: Single family house
Year: Completion: 2012
Project by: mA-style architects
Team: Atsushi Kawamoto & Mayumi Kawamoto
Click above for larger image
- Metro West bridge by Explorations Archit…ecture and Buro Happold
- Hut with the Arc Wall by Tato Architects
- "Small projects are good grounding for r…esearch" - John Wardle on Shearer's Quarters
- Musée national des beaux-arts du Québe…c by OMA
- High-altitude viewpoint perches over a v…olcanic crater lake
- Zhan Wang's animation imagines China as …a trade leader in extra-terrestrial minerals
- House W extension by Studio Prototype co…ntrasts stripy cedar with original brickwork
- Pascal Flammer's House in Balsthal featu…res wooden braces and a circular window
- Maggie's Gartnavel by OMA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories