Austrian architects Hammerschmid Pachl Seebacher have renovated a fourteenth century stone chapel with skeletons in its basement (+ slideshow).
The newly opened crypt had been closed off for around 200 years and the anonymous human bones and skulls found inside now line its walls.
The ground floor chapel above has been restored as a multiple-purpose room for the popular tourist town of Schladming.
Wooden benches and tables can be moved into different configurations to flexibly host talks, exhibitions or events.
The building was completed in collaboration with artist Wolfgang Guenther.
Earlier this year HPSA also completed a distillery with an asymmetric timber roof - see it here.
Photography is by Dietmar Hammerschmid.
Here's some more information from Hammerschmid Pachl Seebacher Architekten:
The revitalization of the cemetery chapel from the 14th century includes the restoration of the ossuary in the lower chapel, and the adaptation of the upper chapel into a cultural space.
The project includes an intensive examination of the historical use and the architectural significance of the building.
The church square as the threshold between public space, church and cemetery in the area becomes an major importance.
- Frits Philips Concert Hall by Niels van …Eijk & Miriam van der Lubbe
- LaboBrain and LaboShop by Mathieu Lehann…eur
- ON Headquarters with a pool of oil in th…e lobby by LSA Arquitectos and BLANCASMORAN
- Blanc Industrie by Mathieu Bassée and C…hristophe Dubois
- Apartment in Amsterdam by MAMM Design fe…atures a sunken kitchen
- Hourai 1111 by Touhoku University of Art…s and Design
- Schiphol Departure Lounge 3 by Tjep.
- Yusuke Seki's second kimono store pairs …patterned fabrics with raw materials
- Lara Bohinc jewellery store by Elastik
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories