From some angles the wall appears to be organised in a pattern, but from other directions the surface seems distorted and irregular.
The rope is also tied around the framework of a bench, which protrudes from one side.
Oyler Wu Collaborative's previous projects include a moving installation for the LA Forum for Architecture and Urban Design and an aluminium staircase in the SCI-Arc gallery in Los Angeles.
The movie is by Them Too Productions.
Photographs are by Oyler Wu Collaborative and Clifford Ho.
Here's some more information from Oyler Wu Collaborative:
Screenplay by Oyler Wu Collaborative will be on view from 6/22 to 6/24 at Dwell on Design 2012 at LA Convention Center.
Screenplay is conceived of as a ‘play’ on one’s visual perception. This 21-feet-long screen wall is constructed of 45,000 feet of rope strung through a series of lightweight steel frames.
The wall is designed with the intention of provoking a sense of curiosity by slowly revealing its form and complexity through physical and visual engagement with the work.
The wall is made from a repetitious steel framework with rope infill that varies over the length of the wall in three dimensions, forming a thickened undulating screen made up of dense line-work. In its orthographic, or ‘straight on’ view, the wall forms a meticulously organised series of patterns easily recognised by the viewer.
As the viewer moves around the wall, its three-dimensional qualities reveal a more complex system of deep sectional cavities, twisting surfaces, and material densities.
The experience is meant to build on an ‘on again/off again’ system of pattern legibility, using optical effects as a means of provoking engagement in the work.
Project Design and Fabrication Team: Dwayne Oyler, Jenny Wu, Huy Le, Sanjay Sukie, Yaohua Wang, Qing Cao, Farnoosh Rafaie, Jie Yang, Clifford Ho, Joseph Chiafari, Tingting Lu, Qian Xu, Mina Jun, Vincent Yeh, Kaige Yang, Shouquan Sun.
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2008 by Fran…k Gehry
- "Every kind of architectural definition …has an in-between space" - Sou Fujimoto
- Local Architecture's Confignon House fea…tures concrete walls and a zig-zagging roof
- Centro Roberto Garza Sada de Arte Arquit…ectura y Diseño by Tadao Ando
- The Shadow House by Liddicoat & Goldhill
- Masdar Institute campus by Foster + Part…ners
- Rammed earth walls with striated pattern…s frame Tatiana Bilbao's Ajijic House
- Church congregation hall by SAGRA Archit…ects features a towering white belfry
- Rehabilitation of the City Walls of Logr…oño by Pesquera Ulargui Arquitectos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories