As well as hosting the six-month festival, the 45 hectare development will create a new city quarter over a lake and will accommodate a university, offices, homes and leisure facilities.
MVRDV are also the urban planners for Almere and will develop these plans as part of a wider strategy to expand the city with 60,000 new houses and 100,000 new work places.
"We will build a city that is literally green as well as ecological," said MVRDV's Winy Maas. "A city that produces food and energy, cleans its own water, recycles waste and holds a great biodiversity."
Maas also suggests that the merging of city and coutryside could "offer essential argumentation to the global concerns regarding of urbanisation and consumption."
- Hamburg Science Centre by OMA
- ORTUS, home of Maudsley Learning by Dugg…an Morris Architects
- [c]space Pavilion by Alan Dempsey and Al…vin Huang
- South Chase housing by Alison Brooks Arc…hitects
- The Liquid Light of Diego Garcia by Vikt…or Westerdahl
- Sussex House by Wilkinson King Architect…s boasts cedar-clad walls and a ridged roof
- Museum Folkwang by David Chipperfield
- Westerdok Apartment Building by MVRDV
- Dubai Opera by Jean Nouvel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories