World Architecture Festival 2012: Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs talks to Wilkinson Eyre Architects' Paul Baker in this interview filmed just moments after the firm's Gardens by the Bay project in Singapore was named World Building of the Year at the World Architecture Festival today.
In the movie, Baker explains that to build cooling greenhouses in the tropics was "an extraordinarily tough thing to do" and required "proper collaboration, not the genius idea". The two structures are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world and include a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall - read more in our earlier story.
The winners were announced at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre, which is situated next to the Gardens by the Bay. See category winners from days one and two plus the Landscape of the Year and Future Project of the Year in our special category.
Dezeen is media partner for the festival and we'll be publishing a series on interviews with selected winners soon.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Pharmacy M by CAAN Architecten
- Rough-sawn pine used to build low-cost H…ostal Ritoque in Chile
- Skyscraper for bees by University at Buf…falo students
- Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum by Zaha …Hadid Architects
- Villanueva Public Library, Colombia
- House by Philip Stejskal can be "locked …down" with shutters that blend into the facade
- Kicking Horse Residence provides a holid…ay home at a Canadian ski resort
- Ruta del Peregrino: Cerro del Obispo Loo…kout Point by Christ & Gantenbein
- Slideshow: Fazenda Boa Vista Golf Clubho…use by Isay Weinfield
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories