World Architecture Festival 2012: Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs talks to Wilkinson Eyre Architects' Paul Baker in this interview filmed just moments after the firm's Gardens by the Bay project in Singapore was named World Building of the Year at the World Architecture Festival today.
In the movie, Baker explains that to build cooling greenhouses in the tropics was "an extraordinarily tough thing to do" and required "proper collaboration, not the genius idea". The two structures are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world and include a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall - read more in our earlier story.
The winners were announced at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre, which is situated next to the Gardens by the Bay. See category winners from days one and two plus the Landscape of the Year and Future Project of the Year in our special category.
Dezeen is media partner for the festival and we'll be publishing a series on interviews with selected winners soon.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Architect murdered in his own building: …Cognitive Dwelling by Paul Maich
- Book Mountain by MVRDV
- Arribe Ataio town hall and pelota court …by VAUMM
- International Tourism Complex Hangzhou b…y Steven Holl Architects
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House N by S…ou Fujimoto Architects
- Park Hill Phase 1 by Hawkins\Brown and S…tudio Egret West
- Zaha Hadid's Hong Kong Innovation Tower …laid bare in new movie and photographs
- Zenith music hall by Massimiliano and Do…riana Fuksas
- Fiat Lux by Label Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories