News: experimental architect and artist Lebbeus Woods has died at the age of 72.
Woods was long admired by students and academics for his fantastical drawings imagining deconstructed buildings and dystopian landscapes that relate as closely to science fiction as to architecture, including one series that shows a "defensive wall" designed to protect Bosnia from invaders by absorbing them like a sponge (pictured).
Woods trained as an architect at the University of Illinois and worked under Eero Saarinen, before leaving practice to focus on theory and experimentation. He also co-founded the Research Institute for Experimental Architecture, where he developed a number of conceptual projects aimed at finding architectural answers to contemporary world problems.
- Tornado Proof House by 10 Design
- London Eye-designer Marks Barfield Archi…tects plans elevated glass pavilion next door
- Red mesh shades the interior of a farm v…isitor centre by Vector Architects
- Intertwining staircases spiral around th…e glazed core of Hiroshi Nakamura's Ribbon Chapel
- Asymmetric House in Tourimachi slots bet…ween two buildings
- Cerise walls frame rooftop garden of hou…sing block by Pietri Architectes
- CF Møller's Villa R features a sunken s…torey for the clients' children
- TYIN Tegnestue adds bamboo bathhouse to …Safe Haven Orphanage in Thailand
- Health Sciences Faculty in Zaragoza by T…aller Básico de Arquitectura
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories