News: experimental architect and artist Lebbeus Woods has died at the age of 72.
Woods was long admired by students and academics for his fantastical drawings imagining deconstructed buildings and dystopian landscapes that relate as closely to science fiction as to architecture, including one series that shows a "defensive wall" designed to protect Bosnia from invaders by absorbing them like a sponge (pictured).
Woods trained as an architect at the University of Illinois and worked under Eero Saarinen, before leaving practice to focus on theory and experimentation. He also co-founded the Research Institute for Experimental Architecture, where he developed a number of conceptual projects aimed at finding architectural answers to contemporary world problems.
- Boxy viewing platform punctures a curved… facade at Moon Hoon's K-Pop Curve
- Backbone Village Houses by OFIS Arhitekt…i
- Studio for a Composer by Johnsen Schmali…ng Architects
- Aggrenad hotel by AND
- Art gallery and archive by Lacaton & Vas…sal mirrors an old shipbuilding workshop
- Madison House by Thomas Phifer and Partn…ers
- Eco-pods by Howeler + Yoon Architecturea…nd Squared Design Lab
- Oller & Pejic's Desert House designed to… look "like a shadow"
- Trees grow on rooftops of Vietnam house …by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories