News: experimental architect and artist Lebbeus Woods has died at the age of 72.
Woods was long admired by students and academics for his fantastical drawings imagining deconstructed buildings and dystopian landscapes that relate as closely to science fiction as to architecture, including one series that shows a "defensive wall" designed to protect Bosnia from invaders by absorbing them like a sponge (pictured).
Woods trained as an architect at the University of Illinois and worked under Eero Saarinen, before leaving practice to focus on theory and experimentation. He also co-founded the Research Institute for Experimental Architecture, where he developed a number of conceptual projects aimed at finding architectural answers to contemporary world problems.
- House Bernheimbeuk by Architecten De V…ylder Vinck Taillieu
- IPT Architects creates rib cage-like p…avilion using wooden frames
- Mammoth and Permafrost Museum by Leese…r Arch.
- The Modern Seaweed House by Vandkunste…n and Realdania Byg
- Porsche Museum by Delugan Meissl
- House and office complex by J Mayer H …features monochrome facades and false shadows
- Cafe Pavilion Düren by Architekten Ma…rtenson und Nagel Theissen
- Movie: Ai Weiwei on the Serpentine Gal…lery Pavilion
- Santa Isabel Houses by Bak Gordon
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories