News: experimental architect and artist Lebbeus Woods has died at the age of 72.
Woods was long admired by students and academics for his fantastical drawings imagining deconstructed buildings and dystopian landscapes that relate as closely to science fiction as to architecture, including one series that shows a "defensive wall" designed to protect Bosnia from invaders by absorbing them like a sponge (pictured).
Woods trained as an architect at the University of Illinois and worked under Eero Saarinen, before leaving practice to focus on theory and experimentation. He also co-founded the Research Institute for Experimental Architecture, where he developed a number of conceptual projects aimed at finding architectural answers to contemporary world problems.
- Distant Shard View from the East by Edmu…nd Sumner
- Wohngarten Sensengasse by Josef Weichenb…erger Architects and room8 architects
- Brother's House by Hiroshi Kuno features… walls you can step over
- T2 project by General Design
- Concrete tower by Bechter Zaffignani hou…ses a control centre for an Austrian power station
- Nantes house extension contrasts blacken…ed wood facades with pale window frames
- Pavilion Siegen by Ian Shaw Architekten
- Office in the Woods by SelgasCano
- dezeen loves... films on Arkitektur's bl…og
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories