News: experimental architect and artist Lebbeus Woods has died at the age of 72.
Woods was long admired by students and academics for his fantastical drawings imagining deconstructed buildings and dystopian landscapes that relate as closely to science fiction as to architecture, including one series that shows a "defensive wall" designed to protect Bosnia from invaders by absorbing them like a sponge (pictured).
Woods trained as an architect at the University of Illinois and worked under Eero Saarinen, before leaving practice to focus on theory and experimentation. He also co-founded the Research Institute for Experimental Architecture, where he developed a number of conceptual projects aimed at finding architectural answers to contemporary world problems.
- Canberra's National Arboretum features "…100 forests from around the world"
- Milson Island Sports Hall by Allen Jack+…Cottier
- Bølgen by MAPT
- Lehmann Maupin Gallery Hong Kong by OMA
- House Antero de Quental by Manuel Maia G…omes
- Brutalist buildings: Balfron Tower, Lond…on by Ernö Goldfinger
- "An art college should be a blank canvas…" - Paul Williams on Central Saint Martins
- Haworth Tompkins' Liverpool Everyman The…atre built with old and new bricks
- Light Walls House by mA-style Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories