East London designer Hugo Passos talks about making his modernist Piet side table without machinery in an "old artisanal way" in this movie filmed by Dezeen.
Passos' side tables are made by hand in Portugal from solid walnut wood and he explains that "no machines were involved in all the joinery".
The tops are finished with matt lacquer in primary colours that were frequently used by Dutch modernist painter Piet Mondrian, from whom the tables get their name.
"The square sections seen from the top show the walnut going against the lacquer finish in a very bright colour," says Passos when describing the contrast between the materials.
The asymmetrical legs further echo Mondrian's geometric paintings and cause the table to look different from various angles.
Passos has contributed a yellow table to the Stepney Green Design Collection from his range that also includes red, blue and black items.
The Stepney Green Design Collection consists of 10 products selected by Marcus Fairs of Dezeen from creatives who live near to VIVO, a new housing development in the east London district. The project also includes objects chosen by east London bloggers Pete Stean of Londoneer and Kate Antoniou of Run Riot.
The collection is on show at the Genesis Cinema, 93-95 Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London E1 4UJ, from 10am to 10pm every day until January. After this, the objects will be given to VIVO residents.
See all the items in the Stepney Green Design Collection here and watch the movies we’ve featured so far here. The music featured in the movies is by American designer and musician Glen Lib. You can listen to the full track on Dezeen Music Project.
- Fading Desk by Thijmen van der Steen
- Alta One bike by Frost Produkt, Norway S…ays and Bleed
- Kelly Marklove at New Designers
- Senz windproof umbrellas receive graphic…s by Yoske Nishiumi
- Pill Range by Alexander Lotersztain for …Derlot Editions
- "You don't have to be an expert to do am…azing things" - Sugru founder
- Neri&Hu's Das Haus installation is desig…ned to "unsettle people"
- Faye Toogood "gets fat" with fourth Asse…mblage furniture collection
- Ostrich Pillow Light by Kawamura-Ganjavi…an
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories