MY03 Hacker was inspired by "old parts for aircraft in the 1950s," explains Young in the movie. "Rather than be retrospective with this watch I wanted to capture the beauty of that era of engineering but bring it forward," he says.
The small circle on the face hides the watch's Japanese movement and is also raised a couple of millimetres above the glass to prevent scratching. "It's very much a workwear watch," he adds.
"In Asia, particularly, leather watch straps are very difficult to wear because of the humidity," says Young, explaining that the watch's polyurethane strap gives the product a more global appeal.
The MY03 Hacker is available now from Dezeen Watch Store in various colours, including the gold version worn by Young in the movie.
Yesterday we published another movie about watches, featuring Benjamin Hubert explaining why he placed a double-length second hand over the pleated face of Plicate, his first watch for Italian accessories brand NAVA.
- Naomi Kizhner's jewellery collection har…vests energy from the human body
- Origin part III - Contrast by BCXSY
- Designed in Hackney: Costume designs for… Carbon Life by Gareth Pugh
- The Golden Rules by Olivia Lee
- Future Self by rAndom International, Way…ne McGregor and Max Richter
- Enamel by Hella Jongerius
- Déjà Vu by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Lavitta collection by Poiat Products
- Silicon details outline garments in Xiao… Li's Autumn Winter 2014 collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories