MY03 Hacker was inspired by "old parts for aircraft in the 1950s," explains Young in the movie. "Rather than be retrospective with this watch I wanted to capture the beauty of that era of engineering but bring it forward," he says.
The small circle on the face hides the watch's Japanese movement and is also raised a couple of millimetres above the glass to prevent scratching. "It's very much a workwear watch," he adds.
"In Asia, particularly, leather watch straps are very difficult to wear because of the humidity," says Young, explaining that the watch's polyurethane strap gives the product a more global appeal.
The MY03 Hacker is available now from Dezeen Watch Store in various colours, including the gold version worn by Young in the movie.
Yesterday we published another movie about watches, featuring Benjamin Hubert explaining why he placed a double-length second hand over the pleated face of Plicate, his first watch for Italian accessories brand NAVA.
- Shreddies underwear that stops farts sme…lling
- Tablefields by Frederik Roijé
- Losing Your Marbles by Charlotte Moneype…nny
- Daniel Libeskind creates chandelier for… Lasvit from shafts of crystal
- Grand by Monica Förster for Offecct
- Darwin chair by Stefan Sagmeister
- Here! Sod T-Shirt Packaging by Prompt De…sign
- Sling chair by Note Design Studio is siz…ed for compact spaces
- MyShell256 by Sharon Golan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories