Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Celebrating the Cross 1 by Humans Since …1982
- Wreath Project by Agnieszka Lasota
- Just Black by Marsotto Edizioni
- Alcantara and University of Arts Berlina…t Qubique 2011
- The return of the pocket watch
- Fold by Nendo for Conde House
- Freedom by Ross Lovegrove
- Kaschkasch models lamp for Normann Copen…hagen on a cartoon character
- Heart for Japan by Delphine Perrot
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories