Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Borselius attempts to perfect traditiona…l street lighting with Halo
- Isola by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Tacc…hini
- "Our shoes were the first to cross betwe…en industrial design and fashion" - Rem D Koolhaas
- TOR by Lambie & Van Hengel for Montis
- The T-shirt Issue by Mashallah Design & …Linda Kostowski
- Benedetto Bufalino transforms a former a…partment into a tennis court
- The Crates by Naihan Li
- Aeroscraft ML866
- Blickfang designworkshop helps designers… "think about themselves as a brand"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories