Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Apple shows its new Apple Watch at one-d…ay event in Milan
- Dandilight by Benjamin Hubert
- Philippe Malouin's Hanger Chair goes int…o production with Umbra Shift
- Grcic produces limited edition tables
- Bouroullec brothers design a bent steel …triangle to frame Artek furniture collection
- Lyndon Neri and Alberto Alessi pay tribu…te to Michael Graves
- Tobias Rehberger covers HMS President in… "dazzle camouflage"
- Baitogogo by Henrique Oliveira at Palais… de Tokyo
- Bun Boxes by Émilie Voirin
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories