Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Aoyama by Noé Duchaufour-Lawrance for L…igne Roset
- New Pinterest board: Milan 2013
- Coloured Rainshower Icon by Grohe
- Made in China by WokMedia
- The Lacemaker by Tord Boontje
- Iris van Herpen curates a fashion magazi…ne
- Martijn van Strien launches experimental… fashion label with laser-cut garments
- Netscape by Konstantin Grcic at Design M…iami/
- Neri&Hu for De La Espada
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories