Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Temple Table by Hiroyuki Tanaka Architec…ts
- Dezeen podcast: Javier Mariscal at the D…esign Museum
- Beautiful Steps by Lang/Baumann
- Ostrea sofa by Annika Göransson
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at Desi…gn Miami/Basel 2010
- L'Uritonnoir by Faltazi
- In Between by BCXSY for Inframince
- Giant flowers obscure models in Ondrej A…damek's graduate fashion collection
- Will.i.am launches Ekocycle range of pro…ducts made with sustainable materials
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories