Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Six of the best electric and hybrid ca…r designs from the Geneva Motor Show
- Animalia by Nigel Coates for Fratelli …Boffi
- Protective suit could prevent the spre…ad of Ebola by creating an isolated environment for patients
- Volt by Reinier de Jong
- Dezeen Watch Store at Ligne Roset West…end
- Dieter Rams at Moss in Los Angeles
- Scum Light by Jerszy Seymour
- Help Japan Poster by Wieden + Kennedy
- Claesson Koivisto Rune unveils Xtra La…rge modular table for Offecct
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories