Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- "We don't know how to fix things" - Dani…el Charny at Dezeen Live
- Parametric Space by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- Cox and Bacon build wooden structure wit…h a lower carbon footprint than an iPhone 6
- "The second hand is a real piece of scul…pture moving around the watch" – Benjamin Hubert
- Atelier van Lieshout at Giò Marconi, Mi…lan
- New Pinterest board: street furniture
- Nubilo sofa by Constance Guisset for Pet…ite Friture offers pebble-shaped cushions for comfort
- 12 Blocks project by Loom Studio
- Boombench by NL Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories