Product news: these matchboxes from Danish design brand Hay are decorated only with the red phosphorus ink that's used for striking matches.
Designed by American product designer Shane Schneck and Swedish graphic designer Clara von Zweigbergk, the Strike Matchbox gives prime position to the striking surface, which is normally squeezed onto one side. "We simply flipped the space devoted to the activity of creating a flame," says Schneck. "99% of matchboxes are used only for advertising."
Husband and wife Schneck and von Zweigbergk also worked together on the art direction for Hay's catalogue featuring blocks of bold, bright colour, and Schneck was the designer behind the wooden chair with a cantilevered seat that Hay presented in 2010.
Photographs are by Rasmus Norlander.
- Companion Parrot by Tithi Kutchamuch
- Konstantin Grcic for Plank
- SWOC by ett la benn
- Nano Vent-Skin by Agustin Otegu
- Interactive slideshow: Heal's launches S…pring 2014 furniture collection
- Nendo works with Japanese artisans to cr…eate bent-wire baskets
- The "first man-made biological leaf" cou…ld enable humans to colonise space
- Devil Amongst the Tailors by Aberrant Ar…chitecture
- Les Cascadeurs installation by Laurent G…ongora interrupts the flow of a waterfall
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories