Product news: this armchair by London designer Benjamin Hubert weighs just three kilograms.
"The chair stems from research into the construction of tents and sports products with a focus on space frames and stretched textile," says Hubert.
The CNC-shaped framework is wrapped in a 3D-woven stretchy textile cover with integrated seat pads, fastened with zips.
"The combination of metal frame and padded textile allows Membrane to use a minimal amount of polyurethane foam – a conventional armchair would be covered almost entirely with foam – therefore reducing the carbon footprint of this type of product," Hubert adds.
The design was presented at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in April.
- Studio Job interprets famous buildings… with "whacked and expressive" Landmark series
- Lawrence Lek at Designers in Residence… 2012
- Wire-chair by Nendo
- Tricom table by Shigeichiro Takeuchi f…or COMMOC
- Tafelstukken by Daphna Isaacs and Laur…ens Manders
- Drawing vessels by Fumiaki Goto
- Plastiki Expedition boat by Exploratio…n Architecture for Adventure Ecology
- Tsibi Geva hides Israel's Venice bienn…ale pavilion behind a wall of used tyres
- Heal's launches Ambrose collection for… space-starved city dwellers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories