Product news: this armchair by London designer Benjamin Hubert weighs just three kilograms.
"The chair stems from research into the construction of tents and sports products with a focus on space frames and stretched textile," says Hubert.
The CNC-shaped framework is wrapped in a 3D-woven stretchy textile cover with integrated seat pads, fastened with zips.
"The combination of metal frame and padded textile allows Membrane to use a minimal amount of polyurethane foam – a conventional armchair would be covered almost entirely with foam – therefore reducing the carbon footprint of this type of product," Hubert adds.
The design was presented at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in April.
- BERG by Thorunn Arnadottir
- Design Museum Collection App: lights
- Architects' sketches of chairs influence… Richard Hutten's seat for Offecct
- "Bauhaus modernism" inspires Afteroom's …furniture and home accessories for Menu
- Royal Actual by Sam Baron
- Emeco launches new collection in Milan d…esigned by Jasper Morrison
- Quart lamp by Rich Brilliant Willing com…bines marble, aluminium and wood
- Array auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid for… Poltrona Frau Contract
- Bendable Interior Objects by Form Us Wit…h Love
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories