Product news: this armchair by London designer Benjamin Hubert weighs just three kilograms.
"The chair stems from research into the construction of tents and sports products with a focus on space frames and stretched textile," says Hubert.
The CNC-shaped framework is wrapped in a 3D-woven stretchy textile cover with integrated seat pads, fastened with zips.
"The combination of metal frame and padded textile allows Membrane to use a minimal amount of polyurethane foam – a conventional armchair would be covered almost entirely with foam – therefore reducing the carbon footprint of this type of product," Hubert adds.
The design was presented at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in April.
- Bouroullec brothers design minimal colou…red Ruutu vases for Iittala
- New work at Established & Sons
- Luca Nichetto combines Danish and Italia…n design for Cloud seating range
- Mermaids by Marcel Wanders for Moooi
- Porcelain by Jaime Hayón for Kutani Cho…emon
- Momentané exhibition by Ronan and Erwan… Bouroullec
- 100% Inspiration: Phil Nutley
- Kvadrat's Divina fabric interpreted by 2…2 contemporary designers
- Oasis by Claesson Koivisto Rune, Luca Ni…chetto Jean-Marie Massaud and Front for Offecct
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories