Legendary New York book designer Massimo Vignelli describes his process when laying out a publication in this movie by design consultancy Pentagram.
Vignelli explains how he begins a book design by laying paper over a simple grid for positioning images and text, which can't be seen in the finished article. "The grid is the underwear of the book," he says. "You wear it but it's not to be exposed."
He lists different layout options made possible by his grid system, including several pictures per page, one full page image and one smaller opposite, or double-page photos for the "wow" effect.
Vignelli sketches the images by hand when mocking up the layout as he believes it's faster for him than using a computer.
He compares the design process to making a movie. "The scale and the pacing of the images makes the book, it's just like a film," he says. "The scriptwriter is the author of the book, and I'm the director and cinematographer."
Earlier this year it was announced that Vignelli's logo and livery designs for American Airlines were to be replaced by new graphics by FutureBrand.
- Sparkling Chair by Marcel Wanders for …Magis
- Funktionide by Stefan Ulrich
- Oscar Niemeyer facade informs cross-sh…aped concrete vase
- Too Beautiful To Be True by Meike Hard…e
- Bamboo lattice by Gabriel Lester perch…es over a Folkestone railway viaduct
- Flower Cars in Milan
- AfroditiKrassa's Pentagon Pendant is c…lad in beveled mirrors
- Tom Dixon to unveil accessories with l…ive "factory" at Maison & Objet
- Pablo Bronstein honours Nicholas Hawks…moor with lighthouse/beach hut hybrid in Folkestone
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories