This movie documents the manufacture of Zaha Hadid's ridged metallic shoes for United Nude and shows someone walking in them (a bit).
The folds of the Zaha Hadid-designed NOVA shoe, which mimic geological layers in four offset sections, are designed with 3D CAD software using a typical high-heeled boot as the base shape.
The different elements of the shoes are formed using various moulding processes. "The platform and heel wedges are vacuum-casted fiberglass," United Nude founder Rem D Koolhaas told Dezeen. "The external upper is rotation moulded in vinyl and then chromed, and the outsole is injection-moulded rubber."
The fibreglass pieces are hidden underneath the rubber when the shoe is assembled by hand, then the exterior is chrome plated in one of a series of metallic colours including green and pink.
Finally, napa leather lining is slipped inside and a rubber sole is fixed to the bottom.
Following our orignal story about the designs, we posted a round-up of shoes by architects including Jean Nouvel and Oscar Niemeyer.
United Nude has also recently collaborated with Iris van Herpen to create a pair of 3D-printed shoes that look as if they're melting.
In the last few days, an exhibition of Zaha Hadid's work that features an installation of glowing funnels has opened in Copenhagen and her cultural centre in Azerbaijan has been shortlisted for this year's Inside Awards.
- Alchemy silk scarves by Cristian Zuzunag…a at The Temporium
- Peapod electric car by Chrysler
- Black Forest by Outofstock for Ligne Ros…et
- Ann Ray shares intimate behind-the-scene…s photographs of Alexander McQueen
- Gentle by Front for Porro
- Light Modulator by Studio Lazerian
- Movie: Collective Works by Mischer'Traxl…er at Clerkenwell Design Week
- Wallpaper* editor resigns
- Renee Nicole Sander creates translucent …plastic garments for her graduate fashion collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories