Called Azulej, Urquiola's new collection of porcelain tiles features 27 different patterns, including a mixture of geometric and floral designs, available in white, grey and black colour palettes.
"The idea of Mutina was always to defend the idea of ceramic tiles as very natural," says Urquiola. "We never use colours that are strong, always quite natural."
Azulej is Urquiola's fourth tile collection for Mutina, and the first to feature digitally printed patterns.
"This year, possibly after all of the work we have done with my studio and other studios, we [decided] to work with printing and with patterns," Urquiola says. "[Azulej is] a quite industrial tile, very simplified, 20 x 20 cm."
Urquiola believes that the success of her continued collaboration with Mutina is down to her good relationship with the company, which appointed her as art director in 2011.
"The best [projects] I got were always coming from good relations with people I like," she says. "In the case of Mutina especially, when they asked me to become art director, [which] is not normally something I want to do, I said: 'okay.'"
The music featured in this movie is a track called Octave by Junior Size, released by French record label Atelier du Sample . You can listen to more Junior Size tracks on Dezeen Music Project.
- Modebelofte 2014 exhibition showcases …"innovative" graduate fashion
- Designed in Hackney: TN29 by Le Gun an…d Tracey Neuls
- Kranen/Gille at Gallery Fumi
- Thermal Till Paper Vessels by Philippe… Malouin
- Psychedelic imagery twists and warps i…n Delorean's 3D-mapped Crystal music video
- The Migration of Mel and Judith by Tho…mas Hillier
- Adidas launches Springblade Razor trai…ners with soles made of curved pads
- "I use my imagination to create story …spaces" - Katrin Olina at Dezeen Live
- Pyramids of Makkum
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories