News: Herzog & de Meuron, Zaha Hadid and Grimshaw are among the shortlisted architects in a competition to overhaul Melbourne's iconic nineteenth-century railway station at Flinders Street.
Six international teams have been named on the shortlist for the
$1 million redesign, which will see the modernisation of Melbourne's busiest station and its surrounding spaces, as well as the restoration of the building's period features.
Herzog & de Meuron has teamed up with Australian firm Hassell to propose a new barrel-vaulted roof for the station, while Zaha Hadid Architects is working with BVN Architecture on designs for a towering extension with a new boutique hotel.
They face competition from local firm NH Architecture, which plans to create a new landmark by floating a glass lattice roof above the station's additional concourses.
The shortlist is completed by ARM Architecture, who propose converting the old building into a school, and a team made up of Colombian architects Eduardo Velasquez, Manuel Pineda and Santiago Medina, with designs to add a garden over the roof.
Each of the proposals retains part of the station's historic facade. Completed in 1909, over 50 years after the station opened, its prominent dome and clock tower have become one of the city's most recognisable landmarks.
The Victorian Government has launched a website presenting all six proposals and is inviting the public to offer feedback and vote for their favourite. The final decision will be made by a panel of architects and experts, and will be announced on 8 August.
Another recent design competition called for architects to present a vision for the future of Grand Central Station in New York. See proposals by SOM, Foster + Partners and WXY Architecture »
- Isle of Man House by Gort Scott
- Artist Studio by Open Studio
- OMA and Foster to work alongside Hollywo…od duo on Miami Beach
- Straatlokaal by Rikkert Paauw and Jet va…n Zwieten
- Ayres Store by Dieguez Fridman Arquitect…os & Asociados
- Hans Hollein: a life in projects
- Eagle Ridge Residence by Gary Gladwish f…rames a rockery and pond
- Timber summerhouse by Johan Sundberg exp…resses "Scandinavian architectural DNA"
- Muzeum Wojska Polskiego by WXCA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories