Slender columns support a canopy that sweeps around the front of this family residence in Japan's Tokushima prefecture by Japanese firm Horibe Associates (+ slideshow).
Horibe Associates raised the single-storey wooden House in Naruto off the ground on concrete foundations to protect it against flooding, a common issue in the neighbourhood.
"The clients requested a design that dealt with the problem, as well as providing security, privacy, good natural light and air circulation, and a space that their children could run around in," said the architects.
Access to the chunky wooden front door is via steps around one side of the curved facade or a ramp from the other, both covered by the porch.
The entrance leads through to a combined kitchen, dining and living room at the west side of the property, while bedrooms are positioned to the east.
Full-height sliding windows lead from these zones into a rectangular outdoor space.
A single tree is planted in the middle of this central courtyard, which is decked with the same wooden slats that run throughout the house.
"[We] proposed locating a large courtyard in the centre of the house that would let in light and air without sacrificing privacy," the architects added.
The low window on the north wall leads into a play area with softer tatami flooring so the children can access the room directly from outside.
Storage space and a bathroom are accessed by a narrow corridor that buffers the ancillary rooms from communal space and completes the loop around the house.
Horibe Associates founder Naoko Horibe has also designed a house with a protruding, timber-clad mezzanine.
Photography is by Kaori Ichikawa.
2. Shoe closet
3. Dining & Kitchen
4. Living room
5. Japanese-style room
6. Lavatory & Washroom
7. Room 1
8. Room 2
9. Free space
10. Room 3
13. Walk-in closet
16. Car parking space
- FRIEM Headquarters by Onsitestudio
- Fire Station Dordrecht by René van Zuuk… Architekten
- Cube Court House by Shinichi Ogawa & Ass…ociates
- Z-house by Hohyun Park and Hyunjoo Kim
- Wooden pavilion by Ramser Schmid Archite…kten built beside Swiss library
- Hospital by Lyons and Conrad Gargett fea…tures a vibrant facade and a tree-inspired layout
- Oller & Pejic's Desert House designed to… look "like a shadow"
- Landmark architecture helps turn Miami i…nto the "capital of Latin America"
- 7 July Memorial by Carmody Groarke
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories