London Design Festival 2013: Gothenburg designer Charlie Styrbjörn will present a ladder with curving linked rungs during the London Design Festival next month.
Working under Charlie Styrbjörn Design, the designer steam-bent sections of solid wood to maintain the direction of the grain along the shaped sections.
"I wanted to create a unique ladder for interior use with a high decorative value but still functioning as a good ladder should," said Styrbjörn.
Treads are flat at the centre, but curve up on alternate sides as they rise to create a continuous line between the two long poles either side.
Stained black or left natural, the ladders are not currently in production but will be exhibited at the Tent London exhibition as part of next month's London Design Festival. Photos are by Jonas Lindstedt.
Popular homeware designs we've published recently include a collection of utensils that contains an elasticated egg cup and a dustpan that funnels sweepings into the bin through its handle.
- BLOWN lamp by Samuel Wilkinson for &tr…adition
- Driverless cars designed for use as mo…bile offices
- Dog or Bitch at Konarska-Konarski
- 17 Days of Summer by Jordon Cheung
- I design products "sort of like Franke…nstein" says Tom Kundig
- Jens Risom furniture re-issued by Rock…et and Benchmark
- Hella Jongerius: "Why make new stuff e…very year? I'm happy to work on the classics"
- Corian: 40 Years - 40 Designers
- Dezeen loves... Bitfall
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories