London Design Festival 2013: Gothenburg designer Charlie Styrbjörn will present a ladder with curving linked rungs during the London Design Festival next month.
Working under Charlie Styrbjörn Design, the designer steam-bent sections of solid wood to maintain the direction of the grain along the shaped sections.
"I wanted to create a unique ladder for interior use with a high decorative value but still functioning as a good ladder should," said Styrbjörn.
Treads are flat at the centre, but curve up on alternate sides as they rise to create a continuous line between the two long poles either side.
Stained black or left natural, the ladders are not currently in production but will be exhibited at the Tent London exhibition as part of next month's London Design Festival. Photos are by Jonas Lindstedt.
Popular homeware designs we've published recently include a collection of utensils that contains an elasticated egg cup and a dustpan that funnels sweepings into the bin through its handle.
- Improvisation Machine by Annika Frye
- Love in the City by Anke Weiss
- Zaha Hadid's gold bracelet is embedded w…ith 1,048 diamonds
- Spring Wood by Carolien Laro
- The Pixel Hirschgasse by Thomas Feichtne…r
- Catch Chair by Jaime Hayón for &traditi…on
- Just in Case by Menosunocerouno
- Made in Ratio uses CNC cutting to create… an A-shaped chair
- BN0106 by Braun is now available at Deze…en Watch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories