Here's a movie we filmed with designer Daan Roosegaarde about his concepts for glow-in-the-dark roads and responsive street lamps to make highways safer, one of five projects honoured at last week's INDEX: Award.
The concepts proposed by his studio to make road infrastructure safer and more energy efficient include photo-luminescent paint to mark out traffic lanes, temperature-responsive road paint to warn drivers of icy conditions and interactive street lamps that come on as vehicles approach then dim as they pass. Find out more about the project in our previous story.
Announced at a ceremony in Denmark last Thursday, the INDEX: Awards are presented annually to projects that address world challenges.
The Smart Highway project was one of two recipients in the community category, along with a climate adaptation plan for Copenhagen.
Other winners across the four other categories include spice-infused paper to keep fruits and vegetables ripe, a tiny computer to teach young people about computer programming and a birth simulation learning kit in a ruck sack. Read more about this year's winners here.
- SCP 2011 Collection at Maison&Objet 2011
- Faye Toogood "gets fat" with fourth Asse…mblage furniture collection
- London's Largest Living Room by Studio W…eave and Eley Kishimoto
- Sang Yoon exaggerates garments with plas…tic sleeves for Central Saint Martins collection
- "Victorian Seven Dials was known for sha…dy characters and wayward ladies" - Vic Lee
- Lee Broom creates Nouveau Rebel collecti…on in "de rigueur" marble
- Hanna Yoon's Experience Journal helps yo…u record your favourite places
- Movie: The Self-Assembly Line by Skylar …Tibbits and Arthur Olson
- New Shadow Monsters video
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories