London Design Festival 2013: Amsterdam designer Roel Huisman has created a desk with an ash lamp and glass vase embedded in a thick slab of resin.
It features ash legs, an aqua-coloured resin table top, an inset glass vase, a desk lamp and a small storage compartment that is concealed by a sliding ash writing surface.
Huisman added coloured pigment to a transparent polyster resin to achieve the desired pastel tone. The material was then cast, milled, sanded and polished.
"I like to combine the polyester with wood, a natural combination since the resin was developed for the naval industry," said the designer.
Two ash poles make up a pivoting desk lamp, which is connected to a power source by a bright green cable.
Writing Table is a continuation of Huisman's wall-mounted resin shelves.
Photographs are courtesy of the designer.
Here's some more information from Roel Huisman:
The experiences I have had in designing for theatre performances and living in an interior I designed myself have made me become more and more interested in the interaction between the objects that I design and it’s users. The pieces I design are meant to easily blend into your interior to form a pleasant everyday encounter.
This writing table is the first of a series of tables in polyester resin and a continuation of the Shelves series. Polyester resin is used for its amiable appearance. The resin that is used has a base that is transparent and non-coloured. With pigments we achieve the desired colour and opaque quality. The piece undergoes a series of steps in which it is casted, milled, sanded and polished.
I like to combine the polyester with wood, a natural combination since the resin was developed for the naval industry.
I use ash-wood to accessorise the tabletop with several functional elements; a lamp, a vase and a small storage compartment to become an object you will enjoy for it’s humble aesthetics and elegant functionality.
- Sleepy Chair by Daisuke Motogi Architect…ure
- Helga Mogensen and Berglind Gunnarsdótt…ir at DesignMarch
- Dezeen Watch Store launches the Crossove…r by Denis Guidone for Projects
- SWOC by ett la benn
- Sybille Paulsen creates jewellery for ca…ncer patients using their own hair
- Dezeen Screen: Confluences and Entailles… at Ligne Roset Westend
- Paolo Ulian and Moreno Ratti shape marbl…e vase with a hammer
- "The floating illuminated telephone numb…er had no explanation" - Paul Cocksedge
- Swell sofa by Jonas Wagell for Normann C…openhagen
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories