Dutch Design Week 2013: designer Christien Meindertsma has compiled photographs of hundreds of jumpers knitted by an elderly woman into a book and organised a flashmob in her honour (+ movie).
Museum Rotterdam and visual arts studio Wandschappen asked Meindertsma to create "something new" with the jumpers that Loes Veenstra had knitted, mostly using yarns donated to her over the years.
"In the book I tried to categorise the sweaters so that you can see the same yarn or pattern return in different pieces," said Meindertsma. "What is quite special is that almost all pieces were knitted without a pre-made pattern; she just improvised and used what she had at the time."
The jumpers are photographed against a neutral backdrop that enhances the patterns and the use of different yarns and threads that have become available since the 1950s.
When Meindertsma discovered that the jumpers had never been worn she organised a surprise flashmob of people wearing them on Mrs Veenstra's street.
Groups of dancers, a marching band, a choir, baton twirlers and hundreds of volunteers wearing the sweaters appeared on the street, where Mrs Veenstra was able to view her entire output for the first time.
The project won Best Autonomous Design in the Product category at last week's Dutch Design Awards, whose selection committee described it as "a good translation of a special story into a carefully designed book," adding: "the flashmob puts a smile on your face."
Other winners included a bubble-shaped extension on top of a neo-classical museum, and a conceptual proposal to shrink the human population. Iris van Herpen's fashion collection featuring 3D-printed garments won the top prize.
Photography and videos were a cooperation with Roel van Tour and Mathijs Labadie.
- "We invited a variety of speakers to pro…voke debate"
- Dezeen Watch Store pop-up shop at Clerke…nwell Design Week
- Marc Newson named Designer of the Year
- FABRIKAAT exhibition at Ventura Lambrate
- Bathrooms aren't getting bigger; good de…sign is about "optimising the space"
- Eco Christmas tree by Buro North
- Geology of Shoes by Barbora Veselá
- Kartell presents new Ettore Sottsass col…lection in Memphis-themed exhibition
- Paper eyelashes by Paperself at The Temp…orium
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories