The designer's outdoor furniture consists of chunky wooden planks painted bright red and sits on the hotel's roof terrace.
Seating for the interior of the inn includes a traditional rocker with tapered legs and a slanted recliner called Get Your Feet Up.
"From the start I thought, whatever I do has to fit the island, its history and its people," Hans told Dezeen. "The way things used to be made there in the old days was playful and practical at the same time."
The wooden furniture is painted in colours taken from existing Fogo Island interiors and textiles. "I wanted to design furniture that the makers would also feel proud of and connected to," said the designer.
Hans has also designed public seating scattered around the island, referencing local wooden structures and fencing to form six benches connected together in a zig-zag shape.
Fogo Island Inn was designed by Norwegian architecture studio Saunders Architecture as a hotel and gallery on stilts.
The picturesque island is dotted with artists' studios and cabins as part of an ongoing arts residency programme being established in Newfoundland - see a slideshow of them here.
- Nendo's Stay-brella stands up unassisted
- Alizz.Cooper by Ingo Maurer
- Serpentine by Eléonore Nalet
- Labvert's glass fragrance tester for Dio…r prevents mixing of scents
- Home Away Dual Time Alarm Clock by Kit M…en
- Harvest by Asif Khan
- Colo dishwasher by Peter Schwartz and He…lene Steiner
- Milkywave by Aidia Studio
- Alcarol traps natural materials in resin… to form New Visions furniture collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories