The designer's outdoor furniture consists of chunky wooden planks painted bright red and sits on the hotel's roof terrace.
Seating for the interior of the inn includes a traditional rocker with tapered legs and a slanted recliner called Get Your Feet Up.
"From the start I thought, whatever I do has to fit the island, its history and its people," Hans told Dezeen. "The way things used to be made there in the old days was playful and practical at the same time."
The wooden furniture is painted in colours taken from existing Fogo Island interiors and textiles. "I wanted to design furniture that the makers would also feel proud of and connected to," said the designer.
Hans has also designed public seating scattered around the island, referencing local wooden structures and fencing to form six benches connected together in a zig-zag shape.
Fogo Island Inn was designed by Norwegian architecture studio Saunders Architecture as a hotel and gallery on stilts.
The picturesque island is dotted with artists' studios and cabins as part of an ongoing arts residency programme being established in Newfoundland - see a slideshow of them here.
- Designed in Hackney: London 2012 Olympic… Torch by BarberOsgerby
- Snøhetta entices bees into Oslo with ho…ney-coloured Vulkan Beehives
- Paper side table and screen by Studio Jo…b for Moooi
- BN0111 by Braun at Dezeen Watch Store
- Hook pans by Karim Rashid for TVS
- Urban-C by Jennifer Newman
- iQ by Toyota
- Dolls by Viktor & Rolf at Studio Job Gal…lery
- Dunes by Philippe Malouin for 1882 Ltd
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories