News: football star David Beckham has unveiled proposals to build a 25,000-seat stadium for his new Major League Soccer (MLS) team on the waterfront in Miami.
Designed by Miami firms Arquitectonica and 360 Architecture, the bowl-shaped stadium is planned for a 14.5-hectare site in PortMiami, home to the world's busiest cruise ship terminal, and would offer spectators an impressive view of the Downtown Miami skyline.
"When people think of Miami, they immediately think about being near or on the water. I asked my team to develop ideas for a stadium that embraces the best of the destination," said Beckham in a statement.
The former Manchester United and LA Galaxy footballer, who retired as a player last May, will fund the stadium privately. He also plans to open a series of accompanying facilities that would include shops, restaurants, a nightclub, an outdoor screening venue and a possible football museum.
If Miami-Dade county agrees to give the site to Beckham, the building could be up and running as soon as 2018.
According to Beckham's real estate advisor John Alschuler, a bridge would also be added to connect the site with the mainland.
"The port of Miami is the right place because it will create a great stadium, it will energise downtown, it will create jobs and economic value," he said.
Images are by Visualhouse.
- Dragen Children’s House by CF Møller
- A House Made of Two by Akio Nakasa
- Indigo Hotel by Sebastián Irarrazaval 2
- Landhausplatz by LAAC Architekten and St…iefel Kramer Architecture
- Yuko Nagayama's cafe and sweet shop wrap…s around a tree
- Movie: Jacques Herzog at the Serpentine …Gallery Pavilion
- Facebook Headquarters by Studio O+A
- Doughnut House by Naoi Architecture & De…sign Office
- Lad Musician Nagoya by General Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories