News: American firm SOM and Danish studio Entasis have triumphed in a competition to design a skyscraper for Gothenburg that will be more than twice as high as the Swedish city's current tallest building.
With a proposed height of 230 metres, the Polestar Tower will tower over the 100-metre Gothia New Tower – the city's tallest tower at present.
It features a design that "takes inspiration from ribbons blowing in the wind".
SOM – who also designed the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and One World Trade Center in New York – teamed up with Copenhagen-based Entasis on the proposal, as part of a 14-hectare masterplan for the post-industrial business district north of Götaälven.
SOM design director Kent Jackson said his team plan to "deliver a great design and city district for the people of Gothenburg".
Related story: OMA wins competition for twin skyscrapers in Stockholm
The residential tower will form the centrepiece of a cluster mid-rise buildings, positioned over several mixed-use podium blocks. It will accommodate a mix of apartments, including single storey flats and duplexes.
Other facilities will include a public restaurant, a gym, a residents' lounge, a podium-level garden and a rooftop observation deck overlooking the city and the waterfront.
As part of the masterplan, the design team also proposes a ring of landscaping that links key sites within the city and creates a new park through the realignment of Lindholmsallén. This will be completed to celebrate Gothenburg's 400th anniversary.
- West Kowloon Cultural District by OMA
- Alésia Museum visitor’s centreby Bern…ard Tschumi Architects
- Duplex House in Tokito by Hidehiro Fukud…a Architects
- Assorted windows and diagonal cladding f…eature on renovated home by NU Architectuuratelier
- Villa L by Powerhouse Company and RAU
- House in Oporto by Álvaro Leite Siza
- Nike Air Force 1 Store by Torafu Archite…cts
- Spanish Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 b…y EMBT
- Key projects by Peter Zumthor
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories