News: American firm SOM and Danish studio Entasis have triumphed in a competition to design a skyscraper for Gothenburg that will be more than twice as high as the Swedish city's current tallest building.
With a proposed height of 230 metres, the Polestar Tower will tower over the 100-metre Gothia New Tower – the city's tallest tower at present.
It features a design that "takes inspiration from ribbons blowing in the wind".
SOM – who also designed the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and One World Trade Center in New York – teamed up with Copenhagen-based Entasis on the proposal, as part of a 14-hectare masterplan for the post-industrial business district north of Götaälven.
SOM design director Kent Jackson said his team plan to "deliver a great design and city district for the people of Gothenburg".
Related story: OMA wins competition for twin skyscrapers in Stockholm
The residential tower will form the centrepiece of a cluster mid-rise buildings, positioned over several mixed-use podium blocks. It will accommodate a mix of apartments, including single storey flats and duplexes.
Other facilities will include a public restaurant, a gym, a residents' lounge, a podium-level garden and a rooftop observation deck overlooking the city and the waterfront.
As part of the masterplan, the design team also proposes a ring of landscaping that links key sites within the city and creates a new park through the realignment of Lindholmsallén. This will be completed to celebrate Gothenburg's 400th anniversary.
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Winy Maas
- Sonic Seascape Terrace by Decoster-Taiva…lkoski, Haaslahti and Montes de Oca
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: U-House by J…orge Graca Costa
- Urban Nebula by Zaha Hadid
- Aromatic Fabrication by Hung-Pin Hsueh
- Fai Fah by Spark
- La Plage du Pacifique Hotel by Kristin G…reen photographed by Peter Bennetts
- Zierikzee Apartment Buildings by Kingma …Roorda Architecten
- House in Rokko by Tato Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories