Japanese studio Nendo has designed a collection of white metal furniture with folded, bent and curved details for Italian brand Desalto (+ slideshow).
The Softer than Steel collection by Nendo includes items formed from steel sheets and rods, all powder-coated in white.
"By adding flipped, bent and wrapped details to metal sheets and rods, the ordinarily hard material gains new functionality and a light, flexible feel, as though the metal has become paper or cloth," said the studio.
The range for metal specialists Desalto includes a circular seat with a central section that is folded up to become a backrest.
On another chair, two opposite legs are made from a continuous curving element that loops over the seat to create back and arm rests.
Wall-mounted shelves look like sheets of paper curled up along the bottom edge to hold small items.
Each design in a set of tables with slender legs has a different curved section cut from one edge of the surface, so the supports of another can be placed into the gaps.
The table tops are draped over the frame so the edges fall over the sides like cloth.
A coat stand is formed from a tall pole that twists and branches into hooks at the top.
Nendo is fast becoming one of the world's most prolific design studios. Other recent projects include lamp shades based on traditional Japanese cooking utensils, boat shoes for luxury brand Tod's and a Winnie-the-Pooh glassware set.
Photography is by Desalto.
- Download the first FOMO experiment in al…gorithmic publishing direct from Milan
- Bend-Sofa by Patricia Urquiola
- Chocolate Mill by Wieki Somers at the Vi…tra Design Museum
- Stuck Chair by Oato
- The Possibilities of Parts by Studio lvw…p
- TAM First Class Cabin by Priestmangoode
- Jewellery and objects by Kelly McCallum
- Design studio Raw Edges "feels like part… of the Moroso family"
- Infobar A02 by Naoto Fukasawa for KDDI
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories