Sports brand Nike has created a full-sized basketball court with motion-tracking and reactive LED visualisation technology built into the floor to help American star Kobe Bryant teach his moves to young players in Shanghai (+ slideshow).
Housed in a dedicated facility called the House of Mamba, the court was created to coincide with the Nike RISE campaign, which centres around a competition for young Chinese players to win a chance to participate in the Nike World Basketball Festival in Barcelona this September.
Related story: Nike Free 2013 installation by Studio-at-Large
Bryant is one of a number of well-known basketball players taking part in RISE, with the participants having already received training from Le Bron James in the first rounds in Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Taipei and Kaohsiung.
James selected 30 players to move on to the next stage with Bryant in Shanghai, where they trained on the responsive court, which tracks the movement of players on its surface with built-in motion sensors.
The court can lay out sets of moves for individual people, create drills based on Bryant's training programme that are adapted for the court, and respond to mistakes as well as display performance stats.
It can also show classic court markings, with customised overlays including Nike's RISE branding.
When not in use for training and games, the LED surface can display almost any combination of moving images, graphics and colours.
- Biomimicry Shoe by Marieka Ratsma and Ko…stika Spaho
- People "will start becoming technology" …says human cyborg
- "Can these parts go together and kill so…meone? The answer is yes."
- Thermoboothby taliaYstudio and Jonas Boh…atsch
- N12 3D-printed bikini by Continuum Fashi…on and Shapeways
- Govert Flint's Dynamic Chair turns the b…ody into a computer mouse
- Xkuty One electric bike by The Electric …Mobility Company
- Paralympic design: 3D-printed seats for …wheelchair basketball
- Aposematic Jacket is covered in cameras …to ward off attackers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories