Long, 29, previously helped launch icon magazine in 2003 and served as its deputy editor for three and a half years. He replaces former AJ editor Isabel Allen, who resigned from the magazine in February.
Below is a statement from AJ managing director Ben Greenish:
New Editorial Management Team For The AJ!
I am delighted to announce the appointement of Kieran Long as Editor of the AJ, and the promotion of Ruth Slavid to an executive editorial management role with specific responsibilities.
Kieran was the launch deputy editor of Icon magazine, and its principal architecture critic for three and a half years. He is also the former deputy editor of Building Design and World Architecture magazines. As a writer his work has appeared in The Guardian and Independent newspapers, Architects’ Journal, Art Review, Wallpaper, Modern Painters, Baumeister (Germany), A+V (Spain), The Architects Newspaper (USA), Dwell (USA), Forum AID (Sweden) and a variety of other journals and magazines.
Keiran has been a lecturer, tutor, author, curator and broadcaster, having appeared on BBC News 24 and the Culture Show, as well as BBC London Radio, and most recently the World Service, commentating on architecture and design. He brings both architecture and media experience to the business and joins Emap at the beginning of July.
Ruth Slavid has enjoyed various posts during her time with the AJ including editing AJ Specification and our other supplements, running conferences, events and most recently heading up the online development for the AJ as part of the Emap Communications web brand development.
This new role recognises the complexity of this portfolio and will free Ruth to focus on specific projects.
16 May 2007
- Old London shoe-polish factory transform…ed into charity offices by Architecture 00
- Dezeen Screen: Landgrab City by Joseph G…rima and Jeffrey Johnson
- Praça das Artes by Brasil Arquitetura f…eatures concrete boxes projecting over a public plaza
- Tom Lloyd and Cassion Castle build garde…n studio embracing "timber and craftsmanship"
- Conceptual extension to Whitney Museum o…f American Art by Axis Mundi
- Concrete hills frame the galleries of Ma…ri Ito's Komatsu science museum
- Riverside Museum by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- Converted barn by Lynch Architects inclu…des an interpretation of a Norfolk winder stair
- LAND Arquitectos rebuilds school devasta…ted by Chilean earthquake
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories