RCA summer show: part production line and part performance, Big Dipper is a machine that produces candle chandeliers by automatically dipping wick into vats of molten wax.
The machine is calibrated to make 24 chandeliers in a 24-hour period and was designed in collaboration with a clockmaker.
Big Dipper was designed and built by Sarah van Gameren, a student on the Design Products course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Above and below: van Gameren demonstrating Big Dipper
It is featured in the RCA summer show, which continues until 28 June.
Below is van Gameran's description of the project:
Sarah van Gameren, Platform 8
Big Dipper dips twenty-four chandeliers using the technique of candle making. The machine rotates and lowers strung wick chandeliers periodically, building up 12 layers for each. After twelve hours, twenty-four chandeliers are completed and a new cycle can begin.
- Stair by JDS Architects for Bench 10
- Alessia Giardino designs tableware colle…ction made from dyed concrete
- Bouroullecs to present coloured glass fu…rniture range in Milan
- Invisible Shoe by Andreia Chaves
- Peneira by the Campana Brothers for Ales…si
- Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On by… Kelly McCallum
- Diesel Home Collection by Diesel Creativ…e Team
- Voxan Café Racer Super Naked by Philipp…e Starck
- An Furniture by KAMKAM
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories