The collection includes external hard drives and DVD writers shorn of visible switches, sockets, feet and other details. See Industrial Facility's Sam Hecht talking about the project in this YouTube movie.
More info from Industrial Facility:
The Little Disk Program is a collection of portable, digital storage devices involving both USB and Firewire connections. Each of the products has been formed as a tool for data storage - closer to media rather than to product.
A good tool is never a gadget. A tool is something that is holistic, where each part is dependent on another, where nothing is redundant. There are no irrelevant details, no feet, no visible sockets nor switches. Each device represents a re-alignment between the virtual act of storing data and the physicality of the hardware itself.
Like a toy car that indicates its inner-workings on its underbelly, the DVD writer reveals an impression of the drive mechanism on its underside, helping to demystify its content and function. It also features the lightscribe technology for graphical indexing.
The Little Disk program will be expanded later this year, and currently includes the following configurations:
1.8inch USB: 60GB
2.5inch USB: 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, 250GB
2.5inch Firewire: 120GB, 160GB, 250GB
DVD Lightscribe USB, 8x
DVD Lightscribe Firewire 400, 8x
- Déjà Vu by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Bulb Fiction pendant lamp by KiBiSi
- Mischer'Traxler reveals manufacturing pr…ocesses by transforming objects into tool kits
- Min-Kyu Choi wins Brit Insurance Design …of the Year Award 2010
- Axis Lamp, Tech Chair and Buddy by Bao-N…ghi Droste
- Peacock Chair by Dror
- Mama Look by Anna Kraitz
- Featured event: Show RCA 2011
- Too Beautiful To Be True by Meike Harde
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories