The collection includes external hard drives and DVD writers shorn of visible switches, sockets, feet and other details. See Industrial Facility's Sam Hecht talking about the project in this YouTube movie.
More info from Industrial Facility:
The Little Disk Program is a collection of portable, digital storage devices involving both USB and Firewire connections. Each of the products has been formed as a tool for data storage - closer to media rather than to product.
A good tool is never a gadget. A tool is something that is holistic, where each part is dependent on another, where nothing is redundant. There are no irrelevant details, no feet, no visible sockets nor switches. Each device represents a re-alignment between the virtual act of storing data and the physicality of the hardware itself.
Like a toy car that indicates its inner-workings on its underbelly, the DVD writer reveals an impression of the drive mechanism on its underside, helping to demystify its content and function. It also features the lightscribe technology for graphical indexing.
The Little Disk program will be expanded later this year, and currently includes the following configurations:
1.8inch USB: 60GB
2.5inch USB: 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, 250GB
2.5inch Firewire: 120GB, 160GB, 250GB
DVD Lightscribe USB, 8x
DVD Lightscribe Firewire 400, 8x
- Design Academy Eindhoven in Milan 2
- Wim Crouwel designs typeface for Holland…'s FIFA World Cup 2014 kit
- Nexus by Yigit Ozer for Kutahya Seramik
- SBTRKT's animated music video follows a …creature through urban dystopia
- 1040 hPa collection by Beton
- Floor tiles made of coloured snail poo b…y Lieske Schreuder
- Bikers Rest by Marcus Abrahamsson for No…la
- Aurora by Ziiiro at Dezeen Watch Store
- Multithread by Clemens Weisshaar and Ree…d Kram
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories